Chapter 7: One More Miracle

Sherlock's POV:

"Hello Moriarty," I said to the figure. He turned towards me, removing his earbuds. "Miss me?" he asked slyly. I stood silent. "Oh Sherlock... you really thought you could defeat me?" I pursed my lips, stepping forward. "How'd you do it?" I asked quietly. "Oh wouldn't you like to know," he responded, walking towards me, hands in his pockets. "How did you do it," I repeated, holding my voice steady. He circled me, a lion stalking it's prey, a smirk printed on his face. "I've won Sherlock." I ducked my head in response, raising an eyebrow. "You'd do anything for him - it's quite sweet actually. You love him don't you?" John's face flashed before my eyes, his gentle words in my ear. "I love no one," I stated, my mouth dry. Moriarty grinned. "Then why are you here?" I didn't respond. "Oh but you promised him it would never come to this," he taunted. "Looks like you broke your promise, Shirley." I scowled. "You may have won Moriarty - but winning isn't all you care about," I sneered, stepping closer. "No, you want to break me. You want to see me hurt - to have me surrender at your feet, begging for mercy." He tilted his head. "Who's to say I wont get what I want?" I looked up at him as I pulled my phone from my pocket. My goodbye. Moriarty snickered as I placed my phone back in my coat, and carefully began walking towards the edge of the roof. Maybe I had given up. Maybe I had lost. But all lives ended and all hearts were broken. Caring may not be an advantage, but it was not dangerous. Reckless as it may be, love was no disadvantage. I took a step, my left foot dangling in the air and breathed deeply.

"SHERLOCK!!"

I turn to face the one person that made all of that true. John Hamish Watson. "Sherlock!!" He called, sobbing. "You promised me..." Moriarty looked between us, his smile reappearing. I looked at John, my heart breaking. "I made no promises to Mycroft." I said softly. John looked back at me, tears streaming down my face. "We could have fixed this Sherlock! We always fix it." I felt my chest tighten. No... this wasn't supposed to be happening. "John..." he looked at me, pain screaming in his eyes. Moriarty stalked towards him grinning manically. "I have to do this - to save Mycroft - to save," I choked on the last word, "you." John raised his sea-gray eyes to meet mine. His gaze sent knifes into my heart. Anger, fear, betrayal.... love. Moriarty stepped towards John, stopping just in front of him. He looked John over slowly before raising a gun to his temple and rolling his eyes towards me. "I'm getting tired Sherlock," Moriarty said. "Don't do this Sherlock," John pleaded, his voice shaky. "You saved me. Now I have to save you."

I walked back to the edge of the roof, ignoring John's screams. Moriarty followed, dragging John at gunpoint. I swallowed, a lump beginning to form in my throat. I turned to face the man who taught me what love was... the man who taught me how to love. I placed my hands on his face, my fingers combing through his ever-graying hair. John looked back at me as I wiped a tear from his face. He spoke softly. "I love you Sherlock." I inhaled slowly. And then I kissed him. All the hatred, the fear, the love had been spoken without a single word. Memories were shared between breaths and emotions escaped between our lips. I pulled away slowly, looking back into John's eyes. "I love you too." He yelled after me, his voice breaking, as I stood and faced the edge once more. "SHERLOCK..." he said sobbing. "no... no Sherlock." A single tear rolled down my face. "Goodbye, John."