Chapter One: A Little More Special

One year earlier, 2026...

Beautiful, yet empty. An emptiness that Robin-Jay Williams wished she could fill, and, of course, she knew exactly why. She always knew why. It was not her own emptiness, it never was. She had everything she needed, despite being homeless and living in a broken car in the middle of winter with no heater. She did have a job as a waitress once, but she was technically let go after her employer searched through her records upon noticing that she acted quite odd compared to her other coworkers, then found that she was indeed different. Her employer said as an excuse for his discrimination, "I only wish you not to be overworked, in which case I believe it is best for you to 'resign'."

Robin-Jay knew that meant that she would be fired if she did not "resign". So she did as he wished and searched for weeks to find a new job that would accept a possible murderer.

All psychopaths like her are murderers... right?

WRONG. She was not a psychopath, instead, she was a sociopath. The difference? Well, she was not manipulative and indeed believed in human emotions, but not her own. Love? Not even an interest. Even if she did long for a special man to hold her in his arms and tell her that he loved her dearly, she would never get that for no person could possibly want to dearly love a sociopath such as her. So she learned not to try if she knew it was an impossibility. Only ignorant people would waste their time on such a thing.

So, the emptiness that Robin-Jay longed to fill was of course not her own. Obviously, from how she would describe herself. No, no, obviously, but instead, she seemed to find herself observing a girl working at the coffee shop she visited almost every other day. She was the one with the empty heart.

Obviously.

Robin-Jay loved to read people, through body language, mostly. The girl at the coffee shop was somewhat easy to figure out, and because of her Hispanic heritage, she was very expressive with her hands, meaning that her personality stood out more than the others'. She also seemed to bring Robin-Jay a new surprise about herself every time she bought coffee. No matter how many times she read her over, there was always something new about her that Robin-Jay didn't know before. That is what made her so intriguing, and they had never even had a conversation before!

Her name was Lisa, it said it on her name-tag. Lisa's family was Spanish and her dark brown eyes and unique auburn-red hair came from her father, though she must have received her dark tan skin from her mother. She was the same age as Robin-Jay; 20 years old, and her birthday was in October. October 28th to be exact. Her favourite animal was a turtle, Robin-Jay was able to figure this out because of the anime turtle pin on her broken backpack, which was in a rough condition, giving Robin-Jay the impression that Lisa either didn't really care enough to buy a new backpack or she couldn't afford to buy a new backpack.

Lisa usually wore dresses, and most of her small accessories were either pink or yellow, mostly rose pink though. That was her favourite colour. She rarely ever smiled other than when she greeted customers, so Robin-Jay concluded that Lisa must have been suffering from some kind of loneliness or mild depression. She also bit her nails a lot, so it was safe to assume that she had some anxiety as well.

Lisa was single, at least that's what Robin-Jay could see. Not only that, but Lisa was gay. Very gay, or at least bisexual. She was very closeted as well. Robin-Jay thought that might have been the source of her depression and isolation.

She couldn't figure out what Lisa's favourite thing to do was, but she could gather that Lisa enjoyed performing, it was what she wanted to pursue as a career later in life, but at the time, she was simply going to college to become a primary school teacher, or maybe even a secondary school teacher. Robin-Jay couldn't exactly tell, but Lisa didn't seem like the type to want to deal with grumpy pre-teenagers.