Peer Pressure

Horrendous. That is one of the many pessimistic words that could describe the cafeteria food at Hope's Peak High. You'd think that a highly prestigious school would have fine cuisine to match, but it simply isn't up to my standards. Naegi thinks otherwise, but he is a commoner,  and his tastes reflect that. I refuse to take part in it. I have my own personal chef prepare food and deliver it to Hope's Peak on a weekly basis to make sure I never have to take a bite of that wretched mystery meat. Which is precisely what Naegi is eating right now.

"It's not that bad, Togami." Naegi notices my obvious disgust at his meal. "You should try it!"

"I shall pass on the offer, thank you," I sarcastically turn him down. "You know, Naegi, you don't have to offer me your food every day. I will never accept." I take a bite of my fugu, which has been nicely arranged on my platter. It's quite a shame to ruin the design, actually. 

From across the table, Maizono giggles. "It is pretty, isn't it?" She gestures to my food.

I'm startled. "Excuse me, how-"

"You get used to it," Naegi interrupts. "She's 'read my thoughts' too many times to count.." he trails off as he prods his mystery meat with a fork.

I feel a slight curdle in my stomach. They are presumably very close, after all, they went to the same middle school. I resist the urge to shake my head at the thought. Get a hold of yourself, Togami! There is nothing you can do. You must continue the tradition!

I make an effort to neatly take a bite of my fugu. Despite my mind telling me to stop eating, my body says otherwise, and the Togami heir must not go hungry. Its a pattern as of late. Ever since... well, my emotions have started surfacing. 

The school semester started three months ago, and immediately the Ultimate Lucky Student took a liking to me. Something about 'being friends with all his classmates'. After a week of persistence I gave up on the idea of shaking the boy off, and over the course of the rest of the school year, I'd have to say he's the most tolerable one here. After a month of constant annoyance I considered him my first real friend. After another month I told him the Togami inheritance tradition, which troubled him. And up to two weeks ago, that's all we were. Friends.

Until I started feeling things I've never felt before. I would sometimes think of his kindness and optimism and find myself with a small smile on my face. I started longing for his companionship. All these little things, they started to add up. The moment I realized I wanted to kiss him was the last part of the equation. The answer? I wanted more from Naegi, something I've never wanted or thought I'd ever want from anyone. I wanted to be able to call us more than friends. 

At first I was repulsed at myself. Me, the Togami heir, wanting a relationship? Impossible. Not to mention that Naegi is a male, which makes the inheritance tradition impossible. 

Then I entertained the thought. Maybe I could still bear children with other women, having Naegi as my official partner. 

A week ago I made my decision, my decision to let him go. All my 'solutions' were unfair to Naegi. He deserves better than to be neglected by someone who already has many responsibilities.

But, as I take another bite of my fugu, I can't help but wish there was a way it could work.

"Togami? Are you alright? Your mind seems preoccupied," Kirigiri asks. She is the last person at our table, sitting next to Maizono.

I let out a chuckle. "Ha! I just have no reason to engage in conversations with the likes of you." 

I feel a hand on my arm. "Togami, we talked about being nicer!" Naegi looks at me, almost with puppy dog eyes. I sigh and try to push down the blush rising to my face from the sudden contact.

"I apologize." I force it out for Naegi's sake. I don't see the problem with my demeanor, but if it makes Naegi uncomfortable I will try to change it.

Why?

A buzz emits from all of our phones. With curious glances to each other, Naegi and Maizono get theirs out and read the message. Kirigiri and I wait for them to relay the information. 

"Oooh, cool!" Maizono squeals. "Celeste bought everyone in our class tickets to the zoo for this weekend!" She shows Kirigiri the message and Naegi shows me on his phone.

"It's gonna be a nice day outside, too!" Naegi pulls up the weather report.

I hardly count 90 degrees as nice.

"I'm charmed, but I'll pass. It will be way too hot for my liking, and I could use the extra time to study." I pull away from Naegi's phone and push up my glasses. Immediately, I feel him shrivel slightly.

"Come on Togami! When's the last time you've been to the zoo anyways?" Naegi whines slightly. Damn, that blush is getting harder to conceal.

"My answer is final. I will not spend my time at a mere commoner attraction." I turn away from the boy, as his pleading eyes make me want to reconsider. 

Maizono smiles sweetly. "Don't worry, Naegi! I'll be there! It's going to be so much fun!"

"As will I," Kirigiri says.

I freeze for a split second. Naegi at the zoo with Maizono and Kirigiri? The thought makes my appetite go down even lower. Without contemplating my actions, I turn to Naegi. 

"Actually, I've reconsidered. I will attend."

Naegi's face lights up at my words. "Really? Awesome! Thanks everyone." He gives a thumbs up to everyone at our table. "I can't wait for Saturday!"

Maizono chuckles in agreement while Kirigiri nods. I keep forcing food down my throat. I'm not really excited about being outside all day in such heat with a bunch of plebeians.

Well, I've gotten myself into this mess, so I better own it. 

At least Naegi will be there.