Chapter 1

"This is the fifth incident this week of a mysterious black smoke invading the houses of Shinobi and murdering everyone in the house, even the children. . . ." 

    The news reporter continued to speak, but the TV was suddenly muted. Boruto turned his head to look back over the couch. His mother had a hard look in her lavender eyes, hand squeezing around the remote. 

    "Don't watch this," she said quietly, her voice laced with the threat of disobeyment. "While Himawari is in the house. Okay?" 

     "I understand," Boruto nodded. He paused. "Did dad come home last night?" 

     "No," Hinata replied. "He had an important meeting early this morning and decided to stay the night there." 

     "At the office," Boruto scowled. "So typical." 

      "Boruto," she began, her voice fading into a sigh. "Your father---" 

      "As the Hokage, he has many responsibilities," Boruto interrupted, sighing. "All of which are more important than us. His family." 

      "The entire village is his family now," Hinata argued. 

      "Then why is the village treated more like family then we are?" Boruto snapped. 

     "Boruto!" She exclaimed. "That's enough. Just go get ready to go to the Academy." 

     "Whatever," he huffed, getting to his feet and stomping up the stairs into his bedroom. 

* * *

    Running through the streets of Konohagakure was one of the most freeing feelings Boruto had on a daily basis. No judging looks, oblivious parents, or overachieving classmates to talk to him about his blatant dislike for the title 'Hokage'. He didn't hate his father, he never would. But he could hate the Hokage. 

     He ducked under the railing, ran up the structural pole, and across a rooftop. He darted from roof to roof, the wind blowing his hair, floral scents, and the smell of warm food filling his nose. 

     "Boruto! Wait up!" 

     He paused in his hasty rush to the train, turning back to grin at Shikadai as the Nara boy ran across rooftops towards him. 

      "Why such the rush?" Shikadai asked. "You've still got an hour to get to the Academy." 

      "Well," Boruto trailed off, looking down at his toes. "Mom wanted me to get out of the house." 

       "What'd you do this time?" Shikadai sighed, looking tired. 

      "We just had a disagreement, that's all," Boruto grumbled, lifting his head and turning his nose up. 

       "About what?" Shikadai wondered. 

       "None of your business," Boruto said. "Come on, Shikadai. Let's get to the Academy." 

       Without waiting for an answer, Boruto resumed his mad rush across the rooftops towards the train. 

    Why was it always him that got in trouble when it was his father who never came home? 

* * *

     When he got to the train, Shikadai houses behind him, he noticed, to his chagrin, that it was already occupied. Jumping down onto the train car, he approached the other occupants. 

     "Hey, guys," he said. "I didn't know you guys rode the train, too." 

     "Only when I wake up late," answered Metal Lee, glossy black hair shining under the sun. "Like I did." He turned red. "This morning." 

    Iwabe let out a slight chuckle. His black strand of hair that slipped from his scarf was in his eyes. "I came with him because I was there when this dobe came bursting from his house sixty miles a second," he scowled. 

     "I can't apologize enough," Metal moaned, turning redder, and seemingly melting into a puddle on the train car. 

     Denki chuckled. "I just wanted to come early. There's something I have to do at the Academy." 

    "Oh, really?" Boruto raised his eyebrows and sat down next to the dark-haired boy. "What do you have to do?"  

     "Nothing that would interest you," the boy answered. "It's a scientific experiment. But if you really wanna know---" 

    "Uh, no, I'm good, but thanks," Boruto hastened to say, standing up just as fast as he'd sat down. "I don't like science." 

    "Are you sure?" Denki frowned. "It's about mammals." 

     "No," Boruto said. 

      Denki blinked. "Okay." 

      "Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed today?" Asked Shikadai as the boy jumped down to join them. 

     "No, I just didn't sleep well," Boruto pouted. 

      "We can tell," Iwabe deadpanned. 

      "Try not to fall asleep in class today, Boruto," Metal pleaded. "Maybe if you studied in class, you wouldn't have to stay up so late doing your homework." 

       "I guess," Boruto agreed. "But I can't control when I fall asleep if I'm tired. I don't know anybody who can." 

     "Just try," Metal said. He smiled. "All you can do is try." 

     Boruto blinked at the boy. When had Metal become so wise? He couldn't remember the last time he'd gotten advice from a fellow classmate. His face broke into a grin, and he nodded his thanks at Metal before turning towards the rest of his friends. 

      "Let's practice studying!" He cried.

      "Alright!" Metal shouted. 

      "Let's do it!" Denki agreed. 

     "What?!" Iwabe exclaimed.

     "What a drag. . ." Shikadai groaned.