1

In a world where most people are born with incredible superpowers and sometimes non-human physical features, you wouldn't be amazed by many things. It is pretty common to see people with animal features, persons flying, with super speed, super strength, telepathy, telekinesis, the ability to create things, manipulate energy, or any other ability you could imagine.
However, even in this world, there are things that exceed human comprehension, and in spite of any effort made by scientists and experts, we still don't know as many things as the ones that we don't know.
Nobody knows exactly how it started, at first, everybody believed it was just a myth, a fairytale, but soon everybody started to believe in it: the possibility to communicate with your soulmate just by sending a paper plane out of your window.
Then, you would see uncountable paper planes flying everywhere all the time, no matter the weather, distance, or even if the paper plane was well constructed, it always seemed to arrive.
But as soon as it all started, people started dying. Out of the blue, around every part of the globe, more and more people died without any visible reason. By further study about this phenomenon, scientists determined the following things:

• Any paper plane built by a person with a note written by this same person that is tossed up in the air, will get to what would be called their 'soulmate'. If different persons write the message and build the plane it does not arrive.
• There's only one soulmate for everyone, the plane always reaches the same person, and the answer from the recipient always returns to the sender.
• It is impossible to follow a paper plane to its addressee. If you try to find your soulmate by doing this, instead you will be misdirected from your soulmate and get terribly lost.
• Soulmates cannot share information about themselves, if they try to know how to find each other or at least share the smallest piece of information, like their names or even their appearance and sex, them both would die.

After finding out about these discoveries, not everyone dared to reach their soulmate. Some were too terrified to share any kind of information unconsciously and die; others wanted to keep themselves from the pain of knowing there's someone out there who is their perfect soulmate, but never be able to find them, and still others didn't care about the whole thing. Very few individuals resigned to communicate with their soulmate without being able to ever find them, so they continued sending notes, totally in love with each other, and died without ever knowing their faces.
Nevertheless, it was still a very common practice among the vast majority to send a note to their soulmate just to talk with someone, when they felt alone or sad.
Everyone approached the situation in different ways, and even villains were a part of this.
In regard to Shigaraki Tomura, he couldn't care less, he had more important things to focus on: being the successor of the ruler of the underworld, defeating the symbol of peace, and destroying hero society, and looking for new allies were some tasks that kept him busy enough.
Anyway, even if he had time for that crap, he wouldn't give it a try, a soulmate? Who needs that? He was okay by himself, and it's not like finding his soulmate was an easy task. On the other hand, in the twenty years he's been alive, his soulmate hasn't bothered to reach him, so why would he himself bother? Although Shigaraki tried to contact his soulmate once in the past, when he was 5 years old, 'help me get out of here' he wrote in the plane, but he never received an answer.
All in all, Tomura had resigned himself to live the rest of his life without ever sending or receiving a message on a paper plane.
But, just like work of fate, as Shigaraki was lost in his thoughts, a paper plane passed through the window of his bedroom and landed on his lap. He looked at it hesitantly, so still he was barely breathing. Then, like a shooting star, a thought crossed his mind: it would be very easy to decay the piece of paper and forget about it. This way nothing would change... well, it's not like if he read the message or answered back something would change, but he wasn't ready to face this, he didn't want to; so, after a few moments of hesitation, he touched the piece of paper with all his five fingers and in a matter of seconds the plane was gone.