02

To Lolo Macario,

To Lolo Macario,

This is your granddaughter, Aurora, writing a letter to you from Lola Amor. I think she has been doing this even before I was born. All the letters she wrote has never been sent and are always returned because it doesn't have an address to be sent to. Dad had to clean the bodega last year so he could place the boxes of letters she wrote for you.

So anyways, here is her message for you for this month.

"My amore, Macario.

A month has already passed again but I still don't have any letter or message from you. Are you still making me wait? Back in the day, it was you who was always telling me that you'll wait for me to say 'yes' and make me fall for your sweet words. You'd always tell me that you don't understand the point of your name or why it's named to you, and that you only did when you met me because I'm such a blessing in your life. I know that I have always been a blessing, Macario. You're just so full of yourself. But it was one of the many reasons why I love you.

Our dearest friends, the twins, Agustin and Agustina aren't writing to me anymore. It saddens my heart how all of you seemed to have forgotten about me now. But I guess they're busy spending their time with their familes. And you should be too. Angelo, our son has been bringing our grandchildren over frequently. Our granddaughter, Angelo's first child, Aurora is currently writing this letter since my hands have been weak nowadays, maybe it's because of the weather. And you know, Aurora, she resembles me a lot. She will probably be your favorite if you were here.

I'm still sad how we only got to be with each other for nine months back in the days. But Amore, for the past nights I've been dreaming of you quite frequently. It's like I'm back to when I was 22 and you were 25. I especially remember my dream last night, the last time saw saw each other. The night before you left for the battle. I remember how heartbroken I was when I woke up without you next to me. Only to find out after a few months that you left a gift. It was Angelo.

I miss you every day. I wish I got to know you better. I'm sorry I didn't tell you how much I love you. But I know I will see you soon, Amore. And I will tell you how much I loved you back then, right now, and until then.

Your Amor and favorite blessing,

Amanda."

Lola has been telling stories about you since we were kids. We already memorize how your short love story went. All your pick up lines, the old songs you sang to her. Even the letters you sent her, it's like we already memorize every word from it by heart.

I've always thought that as a person grows old and as time passes by, you'll slowly forget the little things that happened in the past. 

But Lola Amor proved that to me wrong.

She's already 72. And it has already been fifty years since she last saw you. It seemed like she still believes that you're still alive, that's what Mom thinks. But I don't know. To me, it seems like she knows you're already gone, that you didn't survive the battle between Spain and Germany. But it's like, you're still alive for her. Like a part of you is still living and will forever live in her heart and soul.

We never met. But in a way, I sometimes kinda feel like you're here because of Lola's stories about you. But still. I wish I met you. I wish I get to hear your joke and corny pick up lines to Lola in person. I wish I could see you and Lola together. I know Lola is happy with us but she would've been the happiest if you were here with us. And I kinda wish that I'll meet a guy like you, Lolo. You sound very romantic and smart in Lola's stories.

We've never seen you, heard you or felt your warm touch, but we miss you. We love you.

Lola's getting weaker. It's hard for us. Especially for Dad. But we know she's the one who misses you the most.

So, please take care of her when you guys are finally together. Continue the love story the both of you were supposed to write. By that time, you can freely love each other without worrying about anything anymore.

And I'll see you at the right time, Lolo Mac :)

Your granddaughter,

Marvella Aurora Facundo.