Hidden Pain

Sans rested in a forest, his back gently pressed against a large oak. He had traveled further from his sentry box, Papyrus' cries reaching deaf ears. His brother had been searching for some time, yet Sans refused to be found. Lately he had struggled to remain around others. Each monster was happy. Their smiles were genuine. Their laughter wasn't forced. They were everything he wasn't. All he wanted was his own happiness.

Normally he would have accepted his fate, but it made him angry how unfair the world was to him. Even his brother had found his partner. Sans didn't think Papyrus didn't deserve love. It was the opposite actually. Papyrus' happiness was everything to Sans. He just wished his luck was as fortunate. No one knew the loneliness he felt. He could feel the strain in his soul from the distance. His partners were far away, almost impossible to reach in the underground. There was little hope to find them in his situation.

He had been lost in his own thoughts when footsteps interrupted him. He slowly glanced up, a forced smile appearing on his face. Papyrus moved slowly, his eyes falling to the ground. He wore a saddened expression as he observed his brother seated alone in the cold. He knew Sans was suffering. Papyrus wanted to help, but Sans never allowed him to. All he could do was watch his brother put on a fake front, pretending to feel emotions that weren't there.

Sans had noticed his brother's expression before his own faltered. His smile fell quickly, replaced with sorrow. Papyrus sighed lightly before taking a seat beside his brother. The smaller skeleton had leaned toward him, his head resting on Papyrus' shoulder. He wanted to talk, but silence felt right in the moment. Gently leaning his own head against Sans', he quietly spoke. His words were like daggers to Sans, cutting him deep. He felt exposed before his brother. 

"I love you Sans. You're my only brother, so please don't hide any longer. We all worry ya know." The feeling of something wet hitting Papyrus' arm drew his gaze. He watched as his brother stared ahead, tears racing down his face. The sight made Papyrus freeze up slightly. Carefully he turned toward Sans, his arms wrapping around him. The closer Sans got to Papyrus, the more he felt himself breakdown. His sobs filled the silence as they remained in the hug. He hated seeing his brother so broken. So alone.

Papyrus had remained with Sans for over an hour before his brother had fell asleep. Quietly he rose from the ground, his arms gently lifting Sans from the snow. He moved slowly through the woods, his eyes watching the light snowfall. Sans seemed so peaceful in his sleep. The sight sent a smile over Papyrus' features as he entered Snowdin. Most monsters had entered their homes for the evening, a few simply wandering the pathway. They gave a quick glance toward Papyrus and Sans, but diverted their eyes after only moments.

As Papyrus reached the house, he felt Sans shuffle in his arms. He glanced down before spotting his brother staring up at him. Giving a soft smile Papyrus allowed his brother down. Sans gave a slight nod before his eyes fell to the floor. His voice was weak as he spoke.

"Thank you for earlier." A large hand pressed to Sans' head as Papyrus chuckled.

"Anytime brother. I'll always be here for you, okay? Don't push your troubles down anymore, instead come to me. I only wish to help you Sans." Sans nodded before he pushed the front door open, his feet tossing the shoes he wore into the basket. He remained silent as he shuffled toward the stairs, Papyrus frowning slightly. "I'm going to snag some food from Grillby. When I return I'll deliver it to your room, okay?" 

"Yeah. Thanks Paps." Without another word Sans vanished into his room, leaving Papyrus at the door. He released a soft sigh before he closed the door behind him and headed down the path to Grillby's.

The room had grown loud as many Sans rose their voices. Ink was seated at the end of the table, his hands pressed to his skull. The constant yelling was beginning to force a headache. Dream seemed to sense Ink's pain, his feet forcing him to rise from his chair. He cleared his throat loudly, most of the voices silencing. Ink glanced over, a gentle smile on his face.

"Thank you Dream." Ink watched as he nodded. Taking his seat once more, they all waited for something to be said. Ink breathed in a deep breath before rising from his chair. "As I have stated, Nightmare's group has refused to join this council. They don't desire peace. At the rate we are headed, there is no denying a war in the future. They will not stop unless we take action, but I do not seek bloodshed."

"So you expect us to simply capture them? Nightmare killed one of our own! He doesn't deserve to be simply jailed, he needs death. No better way to eliminate a problem then by disposing of them!" Ink glanced toward Red, his mouth pressed into a deep frown. He understood what they said, but death was not an option. Death was his last option if it ever came down to it. He truly wanted peace and needed Nightmare's group to successfully complete his goal. 

"I get what you're saying, but it's impossible. Killing another Sans isn't what we do!" Red slammed his fist before he let out a low growl.

"I don't see why you want to show mercy. They've done nothing but terrorize us. Who says they don't show up tomorrow at an Au and slaughter another Sans. Destroy the entire Au. They are dangerous and have no hope of being saved." Ink felt words fail him. Red wasn't entirely wrong in the statement. It had happened in the past after a meeting. They had lost a strong ally that day. 

"How about we vote on what to do. This argument is going nowhere, so I want a count on whom stands where." Dream had risen from his seat at this point, his words echoing around the room. Red gave a displeased look, but sighed in defeat. Ink gave a thankful smile before he spoke up himself, Dream seating himself once more.

"All in favor of eliminating Nightmare's group, raise your hands." Ink watched as numerous hands rose, Dream feeling his heart sink. "It seems elimination is the higher voted or the two. To ease the others wishing for mercy upon Nightmare's group, we will still proceed to capture them. We will hold trials for each member. If they are found guilty by majority, than death will await them. This solution should be good for you, should it not Red?"

"Whatever! As long as I see those bastards burn." Dream had fallen completely silent, his eyes refusing to look anywhere except the floor. Sorrow washed over Ink as he released a trembling breath.

"Thank you all for attending the meeting. We will meet again tomorrow to make plans. We will hopefully have a new ally as well tomorrow, a strong one." Blue widened his eyes before he stood.

"Who is joining us?" Ink closed his eyes before Blue took his seat once more. It was all on Ink whether the Sans would become an alley or an enemy. He truly hoped they would not remain neutral.

"The original Sans. We call him Classic and have little information on him. I will introduce him at tomorrow's meeting. For now, head to your homes and rest." No one objected as Ink dismissed the meeting. He remained behind as Dream opened portals for each Sans. 

Once everyone was gone, Dream turned toward Ink. His head was placed on the table, groaning filling the silence. He crept over slowly, his hand gently pressing to Ink's head. He gave a worried look before Ink gave a reassuring smile.

"The meeting went better than I had planned." Ink scoffed as he sat up, his back hitting the seat.

"It went terrible. They really want to see Nightmare's group slaughtered! If we kill them, we're not any different." Dream nodded before he sat on the table, Ink's head falling onto his lap.

"You know Ink, maybe it's for the best. My brother isn't the best of people and I lost hope long ago that he could change. All these years later and he is still a monster in my eyes, no pun intended." Ink chuckled before his finger trailed over Dream's knee.

"I just feel they deserve a chance, ya know?" Silence followed as Dream stared ahead. "How did I ever get paired with someone so kind?"

"Fate decided you deserved the best! So it gave you me." Ink couldn't help but laugh as Dream smiled down to him. There was a long moment after the laughter died down before Dream leaned forward. He gently placed a kiss on Ink's head before he moved to his mouth. Though the kiss was short, the feeling eased all the tension that had built in Ink. He gave a soft smile before he closed his eyes, enjoying the gentle fingers tracing his skull.