A Fearful Conspiracy

Both Wen Ning and Sizhui had been at the market for what seemed like forever- the day had long gone and their bag was full and heavy of items that were on sale on the final day of the Banquet. The same could be said for the thoughts weighing down Sizhui's mind: what were those terrible scars and wounds on his Pa's body? And why was everyone so evasive when talking about them? How did he even get them in the first place?"

"Uncle...I think we should go home now." He sighed as he lugged the bag around his shoulder.

"We're in no rush tonight," Uncle Ning replied soothingly. "Enjoy the final hours of the Banquet."

"B-but Uncle...I need to talk to you-" Sizhui began before Ning suddenly grabbed onto his sleeve, and spun him so they were face to face.

"A' Yuan, don't look behind you." Uncle Ning whispered.

"What? Why-"

"Just do as you're told."

Sizhui was even more baffled than before, but he knew his uncle could sense danger when it was nearby, so he did indeed do as he was told. Uncle Ning looked over his shoulder with an incredible amount of caution.

"What's going on?" Sizhui whispered.

His uncle didn't respond, instead his eyes were fixated on what was behind them: a large group of Lan cultivators, going around questioning people. Ning's stomach churned just at the sight: he knew that it would be dangerous. The fact that they were drawing closer and closer didn't help matters.

"On second thoughts, Sizhui...we should go home. We mustn't worry your parents."

He patted his nephew on the shoulder, then he grabbed his hand.

"Let's go."

Without letting his nephew speak another word, Ning walked Sizhui in the direction of the town gates. Sizhui had to speed up in order not to drag his feet, as Ning was gradually going faster and faster.

However, as soon as they reached the gates, someone had already seen them.

"Little butterfly!"

The voice that deeply comforted Sizhui, yet brought despair onto his family...

Dismissing all of his uncle's instructions, Sizhui turned around to face Jingyi. However, instead of their usual smiles, both shared a look of gloominess and uncertainty. Jingyi in particular looked as though he was a rough patch: his hair was unkempt and his headband was slightly, almost unnoticeably askew. His face was wrought with worry and concern.

"A' Yi! What-" Sizhui began, but Ning immediately shook him from Jingyi's grasp.

"I apologise, but the two of you shouldn't be seen together. It's too dark out."

"Wait! What's going on?! Are you going now?" Jingyi asked frantically, clasping Sizhui's hands into his.

"Jingyi, my parents found out about us!" Sizhui exclaimed in horror.

Jingyi widened his eyes, then the cogs in his brain began to whir and the pieces fell into place. The insistence from Zewu Jun to find out who Sizhui was, the entire secrecy of their relationship, the vagueness of Sizhui's family, his uncle's strange reaction to seeing Jin Ling...