Chapter 3

I was fuming I when burst into my room. I felt this urge to physically hurt someone. No, not someone. I wanted to hurt him. Like grab his fat neck and squeeze or something.

Dammit, all was well without that moron here. Perfect order in the house. Dad was away a lot with his new Provost gig, which made him finally get off my back. Mom worked as H.R Manager for this rich old dude, Mr. Alderidge, who owns like half the town. But since he was laying off a bunch of people, she had a lot in her plate lately, plus she had to be back and forth between home and this tiny apartment in Riverview, that the College Board lend to Dad, because he's basically a baby, and apparently can't fend for himself. I guess that made her feel guilty so she'd been way more lenient to my shenanigans. I lived practically unsupervised.

Now, with Caleb at home, things were about to turn sour. Mom was already spilling out some bullshit. And yet, I would never admit it to anyone, but she didn't lie. With both my parents so overworked and Caleb's being away I felt pretty lonely. And I did spend a lot of time in his old room, playing his videogames and listening to his old playlists. He could never hear me say it but the idiot had the best taste in music. I even took on the habit of taking naps in his bed after school. Well, it became my jerk off palace too. But then, Melinda took over the space because she really needed more space for her crafts. So she said. And I was forced to stop that silliness. Not before snatching a cheesy portrait of us all together in a vacation and placing it in my room, in a sad display of mawkishness I couldn't avoid. For months I would stare at that everyday.

Caleb has always been a dork and since I was very little I took a liking in annoying my older brother. He was always a very closed up kid, immersed in his own world of comics, books, legos, games and aeromodels. Melinda always disregard his nerdiness and Harold always had trouble connecting with him and, for a while, even thought Caleb was in the spectrum. As for me, I was always drawn to my big brother who never gave me the time of day. So, annoying him was the way I found to rile him up and make him take notice of me. As he never stood up for himself I kept increasing the vexing, and as the time went by that made the dynamic between us that much more messy. It was just my favorite thing: I would spend the day thinking of ways to rattle his cage and make his blood boil. I had a sadistic pleasure in getting under his skin and I was good at it.

Be that as it may, I didn't liked the level of entropy his surprise presence was about to bring to the table. Something in his demeanor made me feel uneasy, a notion that he wasn't as plyable as before and that he wouldn't take any of my shit anymore. It made me feel like a kid again and he was my much more older and mature brother, unreachable once again.

Furthermore, I was very well adapted to my new reality and wasn't thrilled to have it meddled with. As I virtually had the house for myself, I could come and go as I pleased, with no curfew whatsoever. I could bring over anyone I want and lazy around with no reprobation. And I had these great plans for this Summer. In this freakishly cold and rainy town, Summer was something to hope for and just when it was beginning, that blob in human form choose to made his prodigal return. His snitch ass would mess up what I had going on, I could tell it already. Fuck him! Fuck tha..

"LIAM! Come on man," Matty said snapping his fingers in front of my face.

"So where's the stuff?" he asked impatient.

"Why you're even in a hurry for this thing, man? You know your rich cousins will look at the poor side of the family and assume you all a bunch of buttlers," I snapped at him, unable to disguise my grumpy spirits.