Silent Treatment

After Addilyn left the bar, Jason sat frozen. Until Mikey and Daniel came running in.

"Where is she?"

"Is she still here?"

"Did you talk to her?"

"What did she say?"

"Did she bring up Ian?"

"Did you tell her you knew?"

"She's gone," Jason said before finishing his drink.

"Did she say anything? Did you say anything?" Daniel stuttered.

"I tried," Jason shrugged. "She wasn't really in a talky mood. I tried to apologize about being judgmental of Ian and not welcoming him but she. . . She said I was right. She even said that I had the right idea with how I live my life."

"Meaning," Daniel said slowly.

"Meaning she wants to be more like us, Daniel, and less like Mikey."

The three sat down, neither one of them saying anything. They drank in silence, each one of them trying to think of different ways they can reach out and help Addilyn. When they came up empty, they paid their bill and left.

Jason was the last to leave. He got a cab home and sat in the back in a trance. He couldn't help but go over the past few days in his mind. The longer he did that, the more he realized how much he had hurt Addilyn.

He was pushing her away, not making an effort to support her engagement to Ian. He got in her face and laughed at the life she's always wanted; husband, job, kids, white picket fence. He even made that dumbass comment about Ian cheating on her and leaving their family because he didn't love her.

It turns out, Ian did leave her. He couldn't handle the idea of Addilyn not being able to give him a family so he left her. He was a coward.

But what's worse? Ian leaving her before they got married because she couldn't have kids or Jason abandoning her because another man had fallen in love with her?

* * * * *

Over the next couple of days, the guys didn't hear from Addilyn. They tried calling her, texting her, stopping by her apartment, but every attempt to contact her went unanswered.

The longer it took for them to get ahold of her, the harder it was for Jason. All he wanted to do was wrap her in his arms and remind her that they were there for her.

At first, Jason wanted to find Ian and beat the shit out of him, but Mikey was right. They owe nothing to Ian and owe everything to Addilyn. If it was between making Ian pay for hurting her or helping Addilyn through all of this, they'd choose Addilyn every time.

Jason sighed when another call went to voicemail.

"Hey," Addilyn's voice came through the message. "This is Addilyn. Leave me a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks!"

When the phone beeped, Jason completely forgot what he was going to say. He cleared his throat, trying to get his thoughts organized.

"Hey," he said shakily. "It's. . . It's me. Umm. . . I just wanted. . . We were. . . I'm really worried about you, Ads. The guys and I have been trying to get a hold of you but. . . We know somethings going on and we're really worried. Freaked out is the right way to phrase it. Look, we really want to help you, Ads. Please, let us help you. Let me help you."

Jason took a shaky breath before continuing to beg her to call him back. "Ads, I've known you a long time. Please tell me what's going on. I can't help you if you don't. . ."

He closed his eyes, trying to calm himself down. "Please, Addilyn. Call me back. I hate knowing you're hurting and not being able to do anything about it. Is it. . . Is it me? The fights we had?"

Jason hesitated before asking, "Is it how I treated Ian? I know the guys and I weren't super welcoming of him. It's just. . . We're your best friends and are hella protective of you. Me more than Mikey and Daniel. I've always been protective of you, Ads. You know that. Remember when Landon Beaker teased you the first day you wore glasses? I got suspended for three days for punching him in the nose. I still don't regret it. He had what was coming to him."

He laughed but quickly cut himself off and cleared his throat. "Anyway, please call me back, Ads. I know. . . I know you're hurting and. . . And I want to fix it. I have to fix it, Addilyn. Please. Call me back. I. . . I miss you, Ads."

Jason hung up his phone and instantly ran his fingers through his hair. He leaned back further into his couch, his heart literally aching for Addilyn.

His eyes widened and he quickly sat up when he finally realized something he should've known for a long time.

"Holy shit," Jason gasped under his breath. "I'm in fucking love with my best friend."