| 4 |

"What was that?" Connor asked, grimacing.

"I don't know, but it certainly didn't sound like a tree." Nick muttered. "We're pulling over to check it out."

The silver van pulled to the side of the road in the forest, forgetting to put on the indicator before so. Thankfully, there were no other cars out.

Connor prodded and poked the ceiling of the van vigorously until the front seats were illuminated by a light. Connor quickly grabbed a flashlight whilst Nick stopped the engine. Nick's fingers hovered over the door, checking for other vehicles. When he knew it was safe, he hopped out and met with Connor in front of the van. Connor flicked on his flashlight, and, almost on cue, the light in the van's front faded. The duo started trekking into the woods, in the middle of the night, rain continuing to battle them.

***

They knew whatever they hit wasn't human, due to the noise it made. A trail of maroon blood guided them through the forest. The duo shared concerned glances, having halted in their tracks just a second ago.

They continued on and on. Before long, they found a corpse.

A corpse of a strange looking wolf.

"Oh no, we killed a wolf." Connor gasped, his eyes stinging with tears that threatened to fall at any second. Nick crouched down, edging closer to the creature.

"Connor, come over here." Nick's glance was a perplexed one. Perhaps slightly concerned. Connor nodded, budging closer to Nick. He looked at the wolf.

"It's still alive?!" Connor exclaimed. Nick put a finger to his lips in an attempt to shush him. Connor came back with a "Sorry, Professor."

Nick gave the wolf a stroke, despite how muddy it was. "We'll get this bitch patched up when we take her back to the ARC. We'll do the basics and see if Abby can do the rest." Connor gave him a bit of a death glare.

Nick chuckled. "It's a she, and a female dog is called a bitch. Dogs and wolves are closely related,  Connor." Nick's mind jumped to how naive Connor could be.

Connor simply nodded after he realised the Professor had technically caught Connor in a loophole. The duo lifted the wolf up, carrying her back to the van as they retraced their steps.

***

The van had emergency supplies in the back in case of an injured creature or incursion. They laid the wolf in the back and Nick jumped to work. Between them they patched up the worst wounds with gauze, then using the leftover gauze they got the excess mud off. It was the best they could do for the shallow-breathing wolf. They closed and locked the doors before hopping into the car and racing back the way they came.

Connor dialled Abby on his phone whilst Nick winged about his 'coffee' now being too cold.

Abby picked up and immediately prepared for the arrival of the injured wolf.