Ch. 25 - Recovery Begins

"Jayje.. come on... open the door.. Please don't shut me out..." Finally she heard the lock click.

Emily entered the tiny space to see JJ leaning against the sink, arms wrapped around herself and tears streaming. Emily started to reach out for her but pulled away, knowing the simple gesture likely wouldn't end well.

"Baby please talk to me..." JJ kept looking down but slowly released one of her arms and reached out, grabbing Emily's hand. Emily looked at their hands for a minute then back to JJ. She started to speak in the calmest voice she could.

"Hotch ordered a psych eval... you'll likely have required therapy before you can come back to work." JJ shook her head to acknowledge she'd heard. Her tears had stopped but she still hadn't moved.

"Jayje?" She finally glanced up and Emily could see the dark circles under her eyes even through the bruising. The lack of sleep was clearly taking its toll.

"Baby I don't know what to do... I hold you when you are upset but I don't want to scare you... I know you need time... But my arms are open.. I'm right here." Emily had spread her arms as she was speaking. She just stood there, waiting for JJ's next move. She slowly stood from the counter. Taking one step, then two, then nearly collapsing as Emily's arms wrapped around her.

JJ snaked her arms around Emily's waist and began crying into her chest. Emily was always her safe place, her home. Even on the worst days she always felt better in her arms. She hated herself for being scared of her touch.

Emily didn't dare move so she just laid her hands lightly onto JJ's back and stood still while she cried. Once she settled a little Emily decided to try and get her to come back out.

"Jayje... you need to get some rest... I'll be right there... I will protect you. But will you please come back out and lay down?" JJ nodded her head and slipped out of Emily's embrace. Emily led them out and slid into their usual seat with her back to the wall and one leg along the back of the seat. JJ slid in between her legs and laid her head onto Emily's stomach.

Emily pulled the blanket down and laid it over her. She started stroking her hair, hoping she would finally get some sleep. JJ closed her eyes but was met with the horrors of the warehouse so they shot back open. She just laid there, breathing, nearly trembling.

Once they finally landed and Emily got her home, all JJ wanted to do was shower. She insisted on doing it herself after Emily offered to help. She was clearly sore and barely able to stand but Emily backed down. She took to unpacking, starting laundry, and repacking their go bags.

She took them down and put them in their spot by the door before deciding to make JJ some tea. She considered wine but remembered she couldn't have it with the painkillers. As she went back up the stairs she heard crying.

Emily quickly put the tea on the nightstand before slipping into the bathroom.

"Jayje? JJ? Please talk to me... are you okay?" When she got no response she slowly pulled back the curtain and saw JJ running a finger over her stomach. Emily didn't mean to but she gasped a little when she got the quick glance at the extent of JJ's wounds. JJ's head shot up at the sound.

"Emily. Get. Out." She had a look of rage that settled a little when she saw the tears in Emily's eyes. "Please, just go." JJ really didn't want her to see how broken she was but she also didn't want her to hate her for being angry all the time.

Emily closed the curtain and sat on the lid of the toilet for a second, processing what she had seen. By the time JJ got out, Emily had gotten her pajamas and sat them on the sink, along with her cup of tea. JJ smiled slightly at the gesture, for the first time in days.