Chapter Three

DRUV'S POV:  

HONK HONK 

I horn impatiently as I wait for Veronica to come. What is she doing? I hope she knows we are not headed to a fashion show or party! I sit back, tired of honking and think about when I first saw her.

*Flashback*

When I left her that day, I thought It would be the last I saw her. I don't flirt with people who I'm sure of seeing again. It just messes things up. I thought she would just be a one time thing- we would have a little fun and then go our own way. I don't want anything more. Not again. Not after last time.  I'm 24 now. It's been 5 years since the incident and I still can't get over what happened. In a way, Veronica reminds me so much of her- so much of Pooja. The same wavy hair, her dimples, the way she handles herself! I didn't notice it first, but when I saw her again the night of the murder with the broken look on her face, the shock, the tears. They reminded me of Pooja, of the time she was upset and I was the reason.

Seeing Veronica on the ground there, made me want to go and take her in my arms and soothe her with my words. But I had to remind myself, she wasn't Pooja and this was not my duty. So, I did the only thing I could - I sent her home without cross-questioning and continued examining the crime scene.

That night, I didn't sleep and two in the morning found me in front of my childhood home. I had stopped coming here long back - it reminded me too much of Pooja. My parents and my sister are the only people in the house now. I felt compelled to go there, remind myself of everything that happened. To remind myself what would happen if I got to close to someone again. 

"Hello?"

"hmm..."

"Ana? are you up?" I asked my sister.

"D?" her voice comes out startled. It has been ages since I have called her this late. For the first 6 months, I used to call her every night, but after five years I guess one learns to deal with the pain. "Is everything alright? Are you alright? Where are you? Do you want me to come there?"

"Ana... Ana!" I called trying to get her attention. "I'm okay..."

"Oh! Thank god!" She said sighing dramatically. "Wait! Why did you call so late then? Is Parth okay? did something happen to him?" 

"He's fine too," I answered. " Now listen, I'm outside the house and I forgot the key. Come down and open the door, will you? Just don't wake mom and dad."

"I'm coming." She whispered before the line went dead.

Only after she enveloped me in her arms, comforted me, and I rested my head on her lap, did I sleep. It wasn't a tight sleep, more a restless one. But at least I slept.  Ana didn't though. She was wide awake when I woke up. She had been crying. 

"What happened?"

"I'm scared"

"Why?" I asked her pulling her close to me.

"It feels like before - you know, after Pooja. I don't want you to dwell in your past. It hurts me to see you like this. I can't live those six months again."

"Don't worry. I'm absolutely fine. I won't be going there again. I know what I did to all of you. I don't break my promises. I promise you."

I left home without meeting my parents, they didn't even know I was there. All I kept praying was for this to be over. I didn't want to see Veronica again and bring the demons to life. It was a matter of only a month or so. After her witness examination, everything could go back to normal. 

*End of flashback*

I didn't expect to see her today morning. I wasn't prepared. And when I heard her voice, it took every ounce of my strength not to scream in frustration. I had a hard time reigning in my emotions. I did everything in my power to remain insensitive. 

It was hard to even think clearly when she was around. Usually, every clue held significance for me, no matter how unimportant they might seem at that time. But, when I saw that piece of poetry, the only thing I could think of was that it was a romantic note for her. Something bubbled up inside me, Something that had been missing for a long time and I blurted out " Bah! It's a poem. What good what it do? I have no time to read your sweet little romance" and regretted it immediately reminding myself again she is not Pooja. Thankfully, she was too occupied with the poetry to notice my reaction.

Barren House, the poem said. I do not understand how this could be related to it. Nothing big has ever happened there. We never found anything huge, just petty crimes but they could be a cover-up. I would rather go alone, But again, much like Pooja, Veronica seems headstrong and very stubborn - she will have her way by hook or crook and unfortunately for me, I'm stuck with someone I planned on never seeing again.

HONK HONK

Now, I'm really losing my patience. She hobbles down the steps, clearly still in pain and enters my convertible CJ Jeep. She looks so beautiful in the moonlight. She catches me staring at her and quirks an eyebrow. The only response I can come up with, " At least you had the sense to wear dark colours!"