Chapter 2: Two Days Time

Two days time came in a slow, calculated motion.

Lucy was still, for some strange reason, completely oblivious to his feelings in regards to their "pretend" game that had fallen on his lap by mistake. For such a bright mind at cracking cases, she was quite dense when it came to these matters--something he had assumed would be the other way around. Had Lucy not shown up at that point in Commissioner Barton's office, he was absolutely certain his resolve against the Commissioner would have stayed. Nevertheless, he knew better than to go against his dear assistant, with her bright eyes and her own resolve bringing him weak in the knees. She knew what was best for him. Even if he didn't know it himself.

"I'll admit that you handled his insistence in the best way you could have. I still could have threatened the Commissioner with ease." Al huffed, musing over the case file they were reading. Fendi rolled his eyes, knowing that Al would have done it in a much less safer manner. "Imagine him cowering--"

"You're still on about that, why am I not surprised? I do hope you understand who you're speaking of, we'd lose the job you already been demoted for in the past." Fendi frowned, returning back to when Al was still going against Keelan Makepeace, in which his demotion from Detective Chief Inspector was a blow to his career. A large one. "I know better than to be volatile. The Commissioner is more than just that smiling exterior."

"Then what do you make of this...notion he's expressed?" Al questioned. Fendi raised his eyebrows. It wasn't abnormal for Fendi to make the choices when Al wasn't riled enough to do so, but it was another thing for Al to ask directly. As though he was a person to him. "This isn't some vacation thinly veiled as work."

"You're asking me for my opinion?"

"You're a permanent addition, as much as I despise such a concept. We...we are one person. Pathetically, two broken halves of one. I'd like to hear your thoughts on why Barton forced us into this ridiculous idea that we both don't even want a part of." Fendi could practically hear the sneer in his response, but he brushed it aside. They couldn't handle another migraine if they were going to argue.

"He sees something we don't. It is mere coincidence that he using our...weakness to Lucy to force us into this." Fendi murmured, "It's clever. I will admit it."

"Prof?" The Prof looked up to Lucy, who was sitting across from her on the train. To their surprise, the cabin given to them was of first-class. It was no doubt that the Commissioner may have pulled some strings to make their journey and undercover case a tad bit comfortable. "Summat the matter?"

"Nothing, Lucy." Fendi brushed it aside, pinching the bridge of his nose as he looked back to the case file in hand. "I'm just thinking."

"The both of yous?" Lucy smiled, stroking the arm of the plush leather seat as she sipped her freshly made cuppa. He nodded slowly, flipping to the next page and pretending to seem engrossed so Lucy would stop attempting conversation. "What about? The case?"

"Just mulling over the case. You know Al, already creating conclusions. I'm making my own deductions as it is." Fendi eyed Lucy, watching her reactions. "I take it you're enjoying yourself?"

"Blimey, Prof, you know you could tell me what goes on in that head of yours." She chided lightly. When the Prof said nothing in response, she sighed in a content manner. "I am enjoying myself. Though, I wish I could get treated like this all the time. But I suppose if I indulged all the time it'd start to feel like nowt, eh?" She paused for a moment, looking out the window. "If I had the money, I'd do it like this, y'know?"