Chapter Three

I learned more about my scientist's brother, using my technological advancements to press more out of the stressed man in front of me. I learned his name was Dave, (it was surprising I even learned his name, since my scientist had been so discreet about his own) and that he was at the physical human age of 16. My scientist said I would be too if I hadn't died.

Was I close to Dave? It made me feel bad that I didn't remember anything. It seemed that my death really affected Dave for the worse. He started doing badly at human school by failing grades or just skipping class. I was thoroughly intrigued by Dave and wanted to meet him. My scientist shook is head sternly, changing the subject quickly. 

He ran his check up on me, fixing any minor problems or bugs and began the data check. I blacked out quickly and normally. Daily data checks were just a routine and I had no problem shutting myself off in front of my scientist. I felt absolutely safe in his hands.

Around 8 o'clock, an hour after I had reopened my eyes and greeted my scientist once again, a loud crash shook the Cellar, toppling various tools of my scientist's to the ground. I barely kept my balance, my scientist hanging on to the metal table for support. He mumbled a quick "shit" and looked up at the ceiling, where dust was falling. 

"What was that?" I asked in alarm, looking into my scientist's bare eyes where his glasses had fallen off in the commotion. He looked worried, his eyes hard and golden in stress. Shaking his head quickly and shaking the fallen dust off his pristine lab coat, my scientist motioned me to get up from the table. 

"Probably nothing important. Don't worry too much about it." He spoke calmly and collectively, but I could tell he was just as unnerved as I was. 

"What if someone's in trouble?" I pressed, leaning forward in my seat.

"No one's in trouble, you should really go back to the Dorm." Glasses reapplied, my scientist returned to his desk, typing normally and acting as if I wasn't there. 

"But-" I repeated, earning a stone cold glare.

"Go."

So I left. No use getting yelled at. 

The tremor seemed to have shook the entire building, but none of the others seemed perturbed. Other robots strode casually down the hallway leading to the Dorm, leaving me to act the same. It was pretty hard. There was a massive, gaping crack in the ceiling that I'm sure wasn't there before. What's going on at the surface? There's something my scientist wasn't telling me. Did it have to do with Dave's condition?

Rounding a corner, I continued to walk at my decided pace, passing a long, darker hallway that I had no idea where it went. Before I could pass it completely, I felt something yank at the cotton of my tshirt and yank me into it's depths. Another hand suppressed my scream.

My feet proved useless as a strong arm pulled me backward, muffling my hysteric screams which short-circuited my vocal programming. I kicked hard and squirmed in the cold grip, trying desperately to break free, but the arms just held me tighter. With no breath to catch and no energy to run out of, I found myself struggling forever, my electrical body heating to inhumane temperatures. At this moment, I didn't realize it could just be a scientist, trying to pull me aside, or that this hallway could have recorded this whole thing. Basically, whoever this was knew that I wasn't just a robot.

Finally, my captor dropped me and I fell to the ground in a silicone heap. I didn't dare to look up, worried for something to attack me. I was vulnerable on the ground like this, my power crystal out in the open. Nothing happened. Now I had realized the heat of the situation. I was screwed.

"You can get up, y'know. I'm not gonna' hurt you. As much as you deserve it." " Someone said. I tensed. "Seriously though, you pack a mean punch for a small body." I looked up to see sharp features of a woman and cerulean eyes similar to mine. A crystal shone in the middle of her collarbones, shining obnoxiously. 

Experiment 409. 

My disbelief was obvious on my face. My mouth hung open and I could barely keep myself up. 409 smiled smugly. "I know I'm hot." She said, her lips breaking into a toothy grin. Her words were quick and melodic, as if she seemed sure of them. I couldn't speak myself. I blinked. She was a robot! Like me! She wasn't supposed to do that? Or was she programmed?

"Oh, would you get up, 413? I don't want to be late!" She drew one hand to her hip and held the other out to help me up. I took it gratefully. I was still a little shaken up. I glanced up around, trying to locate the cameras installed into the ceiling.

"There's none there." 409 stated plainly, as if reading my mind."I'm smart, don't worry." Well that was good, at least. I could run now and pretend this never happened. That there wasn't someone like me this entire fucking time I was moping about being different. Would've been nice to know. 

409 stared at me. "Yoo-hoo? You in there?" I blinked, flustering and nodding.

"Yeah! Yeah. Sorry." I stammered unevenly, holding my hands up. She just nodded, smirking. 

"You have a name, 413? I'm Vriska. It's Hindi, I think." A name? Was I supposed to have a name? None of the other robots had a name.

"My scientist didn't give me one." I said, confusion written in my voice. Vriska's eyebrows knotted. 

"What do you mean, 'your scientist' didn't give you a name. You're practically human, afterall." She crossed her arms and pursed her lips. "Equius, er, my scientist, gave me one." Why didn't my scientist give me one? Why did I even know my scientist's name.

I just shrugged in confusion. "Well, uhm. It was nice meeting you, Vriska." I shuffled sort of backwards, trying to escape. She rolled her eyes and waved nonchalantly.

"I will be talking to you later." She spoke softly. I could only keep moving backwards, hoping she wouldn't stop me again. "Oh, and 413?" Shit. I looked back, though I wish I didn't."

"Don't trust him." Vriska smiled. A big toothy grin. Then she waved again and strode past me. I knew for sure that him, was my scientist. I tried to push the thoughts past my brain, though. Quickly, I walked out of the hallway and back to my usual pace. Hopefully no scientist would notice.

I settled back onto my metal table, knowing full well that 409- uhm, Vriska, was watching. The gentle clink of 412 settled me into the red lights of my internal clock. I shut my eyes and awaited 9 o'clock.

Why shouldn't I trust my scientist?

He's done so much for me...