17

It didn't surprise her that he responded

It didn't surprise her that he responded. Sigrún could be convincing with her words, and Irvina knew she did well sending her. Irvina pulled the hood tighter over her frame. She was confident in her decision, but now not so much. Picking up her skirts, she stepped over a tree branch. A hot puff of air appeared before her whenever she exhaled. She could hear the scrunches of leaves behind her. Gorm was planning to stay a shot away, to protect her if needed. Other than that, she was alone, at night, in woods.

"You look paler if that is even possible." Irvina looked towards the gruff voice.

She stepped forward, trying to appear less threatened by the man before her, "And you look old." He laughed before huffing and leaning on a tree.

"Tell me why did that ugly blond of yours contact me?!" Irvina squinted her eyes. She despised the man. Maybe simply because he held no remorse, held almost no emotion. A scoff left her, why did it sound as if she was describing herself.

"I came with a proposition." Her hand slid over her skirts. She wanted to appear indifferent.

He grinned and pushed off the tree, "Let me guess, open the gate for you." She smirked right back, her shoulders squaring. Her shoulder ached with the movement, and she did her best to not grimace. Her legs ached, knees hurting from her jump. Everything irritated her, she hated the woods and mosquitos.

She laughed, "During a fight, you will let us slid inside." The wheels seemed to be twirling inside his mind. The deal with Harald seemed to be beneficial, but she was planning to play on his emotion.

"I know, about your deal" —her lips thinned— "do you think Ronja wants to be a Queen? No, that's why she is with Ivar, that's why she's pregnant with his child." Haldor stepped closer. His nostrils flared, and a fire burned inside his eyes. Then the aggression was replaced by longing.

"She's with a child?" A small fond smile grazed her lips. And then guilt. Gunnhild's child was dead because of her selfishness.

She did her best to push the emotion down. Confidently she said, "That will also be a part of our deal. A chance for forgiveness, to meet your grandchild." His forehead creased more and more at each word. Eyebrows furrowed at the word grandchild.

"Ronja will not talk to me." Irvina swallowed. Once again, she was playing with someone else's life. "She will." He stared at her, eyes searching for untold lies.

"What is your plan?" Irvina couldn't hold the grin that overtook her lips.

*

Halfdan stood tall as he watched the sunset behind the high mountains. Was their attack going to be successful? Were they strong enough to hold on? Was he strong enough to defeat his brother? Once the thought of his brother entered his mind, his face appeared behind his closed eyes. Should he feel guilty for following his heart? He felt heartbroken when his brother sliced at him and almost killed him. How heartbroken did his brother felt when he saw him standing at the enemy lines once again. How heartbroken would Irvina feel if he chose his brother?

"You are thinking too deeply." Startled he turned around. The woman walked like a ghost. Sigrún was standing before him, her black eyes glinting. She was wrapped in colorful silks, and her staff made small prints in the snow. Now that he concentrated on the snow, he noticed that she was bare feet. Was she never cold? Her head tilted, blond braided hair falling to the side.

"Your fate has been already decided." Were her words true? His brows furrowed. His faith in his Gods was maybe too big.

"Will my brother die by Irvina's hand." Her eyes closed and hand stroked the had of her staff.

She gazed into the distance, "She will be too merciful because of you." Did that mean he was going to have to watch the woman he adored kill his brother?

"His blood will seep the ground once the man with lines of Fate on his face strikes him down." Halfdan's forehead creased. What did she mean by that?

"Sigrún," a sharp voice silenced whatever the blonde woman had on her tongue. Once his eyes settled on his woman, his heart lifted. He felt relieved.

He took an unsure step forward, "You're okay," he murmured. Her eyes softened once they fell on him. A soft smile replaced the frown.

"Of course, I am." The tall bald man behind her, Gorm, bowed before he excused himself. Of course not without sparring a threatening look Halfdans way. "He agreed."

"As I foretold." Irvina scoffed, still clearly upset that the Volva has forgotten to mention that she would be the cause of child loss.

Irvina dismissed her with a wave of a hand, her eyes not leaving his. "Should I go tell the news to Ronja?" The Volva clearly wasn't offended with the dismissal.

Irvina shook her head, "No, I will tell her at tonight's meeting." Sigrún frowned, not agreeing with the decision, but she simply nodded, not daring to speak her mind.

"You should've let me come with you." The gruff voice carried around them as the silence settled after. She looked into the distance, a guilty feeling once again sweeping over her.

"It was a peaceful meeting" -she pushed the hair out of her face once the air ruffled it all over the space- "besides Gorm was with me." He smiled.

"I understand that you don't trust me," he gathered her in his arms before whispering, "Even I wouldn't trust myself, but I promised to fight for you, and I meant that even if you're fighting a battle of mind and heart." She bit her bottom lip, silencing whatever protests she had in mind.

"I know." She cuddled into his arms, hiding in his arms from the world became a habit as it seemed. "I trust you with my heart."