23

Can you finish the sentence?

Once she stepped into the room, she could feel the silence pulling at her heart. She loved him, yet this decision was hard to make. His arms suddenly engulfed her from behind. "It's okay, I understand," he whispered.

"But how can you? I am practically giving you a verdict that I will torture your brother to death and won't let him enter Valhalla." He turned her around, his hands cupping her face. His lips stretched into a soft smile. Fingers slightly caressed her face. Inside he did his best to not flinch.

"It's fine," his arms engulfed her, "I'll support you." Irvina could feel the but coming from miles away. "But I have to ask you to let him die in a fight." She closed her eyes. What would her people say if they found out that she didn't avenge her family? But her mother! Her mother was a gentle soul. She was forgiving, and the best woman Irvina ever met.

Her lips crashed with his. She could smell him, the smell of mead and ash. She clenched her eyes shut. Her ears picked up his fast heartbeat. Those lips of his fluttered over hers like butterfly wings in a strong wind. Their lips separated, and her whole heart became swallowed with longing.

"I have to go talk to Sigrún."

*

Irvina found the strange woman in her hut. She didn't even realize that they've been kissing for so long. Sigrún was adding some herbs into whatever she was already making. The water made a hissing sound. "The man is healed as best as I could, but he is slowly dying." Irvina stepped closer, avoiding the weird-looking water. Was that a bone that was sticking out?

"Why don't you ask what you came here for?" Her eyes snapped to hers. Those black orbs were watching her. Why did she have to say the question when Sigrún probably already knew the question.

She exhaled, "Almost half of my life was based on revenge, and yet now I'm unsure about his death sentence." Irvina twisted her fingers. Nails tapped onto the table. "I want to know if my people will abandon me for the decision I have in mind?"

Sigrún dabbed a finger into a bowl next to her. As the finger moved to her face, she hesitated. What was inside that bowl. She pushed the finger onto her forehead. Then swiped down before tilting her head. "Every decision has consequences. They are bad or good. This one will have severe of them, but I don't think that this is truly the question you wanted to ask."

Irvina touched her forehead lightly. It smelt like mushrooms. "Will he stand beside me no matter what decision I make," she asked. Sigrún smiled as she saw something no one else could.

"Your souls are tied." Irvina blinked at her before looking at the gurgling pot. Sigrún returned to the mix, adding more herbs. This was her sign to leave.

*

Gorm was sitting at the feast, in a corner as she already guessed. What surprised her was the male sitting by his side. Very close to his side. She wasn't surprised that it wasn't a woman but that he let someone sit close. The tall man was very picky. Once he noticed her, he immediately perked up and picked himself from the seat. She knew he wasn't from her kingdom because the man gazed at her with a scowl from stealing Gorm's attention.

"Get ready, Gorm, once our prisoner will be able to stand on his feet, you will fight." Gorm looked at her with a frown. He stepped towards her, his hand holding her arm.

He whispered with concern, "I don't think he deserves to fight for his life." Irvina looked around, doing her best to ignore the drinking yells around her. She wanted this matter to be done the most privately. Her eyes focused on the other male. He was looking at her with a sneer. Irvina raised a brow.

"That's why he will be fighting you. I want you to kill him, but he will die standing with a sword." His eyes squinted, clearly disliking her decision. "My Queen, just because his brother is warming your bed, you should not let your judgment get clouded."

Irvina scowled, "You will do as I say. Do not question my decision," She looked over his shoulder pointedly, "Your bed warmer also seems to want your attention. Remember Gorm, I am, the Queen." Gorm nodded, releasing her arm.

She knew he disagreed, and only meant good, but he shouldn't question her before everyone. He turned towards the male, probably pulling a face because the male looked down with a pout. "I understand." His eyes stayed settled onto the man even though the words were clearly meant for her. She nodded before turning around.

She left the feast with few nods and words at passing people. Ronja was laughing laying in her husband's lap on the cushions. Her shoulders lifted as she saw Haldor nodding something at Ivar. Gunnhild was talking with Bjorn, sitting not far from the married couple. Hvitserk was absent, but Irvina's heart was relieved because he was spending time with Ubbe. The two males needed the distraction as much as they could get. Irvina thought about the offer she given to the brother. It was true the decision about another travel mission to England was already set. Ronja even though pregnant, was determined to lead her army, while Bjorn's ally was going to lead his. She doubted that he will get a chance to make a decision.

Her feet carried her away. Mind settled on the decision she made. She knew that a lot of her people were going to share Gorm's opinion. Yet her heart was set. She made the decision, and people knew how stubborn she was. Nothing was going to change her mind now. Yes, maybe the decision was coerced by Halfdan, but not because they were sleeping together or because she didn't want him to leave. Because she loved him.