Chapter Nine

Waking to a new environment, Angelique was disoriented and confused. Slowly sitting up on the large bed, she examined the room she occupied. It was a large and majestic bedroom. Everything was sparkling clean and expensive that she wondered if it was even real. She had never seen such finery. The bedsheets underneath her were silky soft, Barsinie, a type of silk made by a silkworm found in the Woodland Kingdom. It was not peculiar, for the Sprites Kingdom governed underneath the Fae Kingdom were materialistic creatures.

Whimpering, when her head was pounding, she gently massaged her forehead.

'What happened to her?'

She thought as she glanced out the window where the sun was slowly setting on the horizon.

"I see that you have awakened, your highness."

Giving a panicked scream, when a servant had made her presence known by drawing closer, Angelique pushed herself like a cat out of the water towards the head of the bed.

The servant apologetically bowed, worry flashing in her forest-green eyes.

"I apologize for startling you, your highness."

Rapidly nodding, Angelique hoarsely spoke.

"Who are?"

The servant took two steps towards her. With a small curtsy, she plausibly answered.

"My name is Carlotta."

"Where am I?"

"You are in the Sprites Land, your highness."

"How long have I been asleep?"

Angelique pushed herself towards the edge of the bed.

"You have not been asleep, your highness, but ill for twenty-one days."

Angelique gasped with widened eyes.

"That is not possible."

"You have been running a high fever ever since I brought you here, Princess. You were in a short induced coma. Crossing the Fae boundary has affected your body."

Someone interrupted as they materialized from a portal into the room. It was Pearle.

"My Queen, you are welcome."

Bowing and stretching out her hands to form an open circle with her fingers, Carlotta respectfully acknowledged her ruler's presence.

With a bittersweet smile on her gorgeous face, Pearle dismissed her with a small nod.

"You have done well. You may go in peace."

"Thank you, my queen."

Bowing again, Carlotta walked out of the room with her front facing Pearle. The double doors flew opened by two guards flagging either side of the doors. As soon as the doors were closed, Pearle walked to sit on the bed near the slightly panicked Angelique. Grabbing her hands and gently intertwining their fingers together, she smiled.

"I am happy that you are awake. How do you feel, dear?"

Sighing heavily, she murmured.

"I have never felt this way before. It feels as if I was hit with a lot of stones and swallowed sand."

Lightly chuckling, Pearle lifted a hand to pass through Angelique's soft but tangled tresses. Placing a stubborn loose strand behind her ears, she shook her head.

"That is not very good to hear, but you have gained back your color. There is still a slight fever, but it seems like you have undergone the dangerous waters of the illness."