Everything Changes

Hollywood
1995

The streets outside the Orpheum Theater in Los Angeles, California were crowded as my twin brother and our band rehearsed for our concert that was taking place in the next couple of hours. We were running through our opening song one more time just to get it perfect for the fans.

With Alex on drum and vocals, Bobby on electric guitar, Reggie on bass and vocals, Luke and I on electric guitar and sharing lead vocals, we perfected our song 'Now or Never' for tonight's show.

......................................................................................
(Luke)
Take off last stop
Countdown till we blast open the top
Face first full charge
Electric hammer to the heart
(Band)
Clocks move faster, we don't get over
(Luke)
'cause it's all we're after now oh
(Reggie and Luke)
Won't stop climbing
'cause this is our time, yeah
(Layla)
When all the days felt black and white
Those were the best shades of my life

(Band)
Don't look down
(Luke)
'cause we're still rising
(Band)
Up right now
(Layla)
And even if we
(Band)
hit the ground
We'll still fly keep dreaming like we'll live forever
But live it like it's now or never

(Alex)
We ain't searching for tomorrow
'cause we got all we need today

(Luke and Layla)
Living on a feeling
That's been running through our veins

(Reggie)
We're the revolution
That's been singing in the rain

(Band)
Don't look down
(Luke)
'cause we're still rising
(Band)
Up right now
(Layla)
And even if we
(Band)
hit the ground
We'll still fly keep dreaming like we'll live forever
But live it like it's now or never
It's now or never now or never
......................................................................................

We were all drenched in sweat. It was like someone had just dumped a bucket of water on each of us, we were all completely into. Within a matter of seconds, our team was cheering us on and telling us how good we sounded, particularly, a waitress who was cleaning a table.

"Thank you! We're Sunset Curve!" exclaimed Reggie. He was our bassist, and just like everyone else in the band, like my brother. He always dressed in jeans, a t-shirt, and a leather jacket or flannel that he paired with a pair of sneakers.

"Too bad we wasted that on the sound check. That's the tightest we've played!" noted Bobby. He was the one in the group I wasn't as close with, but we were still closer than most of my friends at home. He too dressed in jeans and sneakers with a plain t-shirt, but paired it with a usual leather vest.

"Wait until, man, when this place gets packed with records execs." Luke exclaims with a wide use of hand motions. He dressed the most 90s with his usual grunge look.

"Alex. Layla. You two were smoking!" Reggie says in pure confidence and encouragement towards us. Smoking? I would say Alex was, I don't think it's even possible to be 'smokin' while playing the keyboard.

"Oh no. I was just warming up. You guys are the ones on fire." Alex stammered, showing he is still unable to take any compliment ever.

"Could you just on your awesomeness for once?" Reggie asked Alex annoyed.

"Yeah, Alex! You've been really killing it lately." I interject. All four boys look at me dead in the eye.