three | the incident

【𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋 𝐎𝐅 𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐋】

"Hey, cheer up, would ya?" Luke told me.

"I'm mentally occupied." I huffed, watching the outside world fall behind us as we drove by.

"You're with me now. Don't worry about all that." He told me softly, turning up the music to fill my brooding silence.

"I just- hate him!" I choked out angrily. "Paul just thinks like- like- like he's my dad or something!"

"Well, I don't think he-" Luke began.

"Don't get involved." I said sternly, tearing my head away from the window, cutting him off.

He sealed his lips, pretending to lock them with a key, and throw the key out of the car window.

We sat like that for a moment. The sound of my stomach gurgling cut through the music.

"Can we get food?" I asked him softer than before.

Luke had no response.

"Luke?" I asked him turning to face him.

He looked at me from the corner of his eyes, shrugging.

"Please?" I pleaded, batting my lashes at him. He again gave me no response.

"Luke!" I exclaimed, frustrated with his behaviour, assuming he was angry at me for snapping at him.

He shrugged again, and signalled that his lips were locked. My face broke out into a crooked smile.

"You're so dumb." I laughed.

He made a face at my comment.

"Luke!" I pleaded playfully, stretching his name out on my lips. He continued to ignore me, so I began to shake his shoulders.

The car slightly swerved at my actions, and I cackled out loud.

Luke gently pushed me off of him, rolled the window down, and presented to retrieve the key. He mimicked unlocking his mouth, and began to speak. 

"If we get food, will you stop trying to crash the fucking car?" He exclaimed. 

"I'm making no promises." I smirked, kicking my feet up on the dashboard and cranking the music up loudly.