⠀ ⠀iii.

₊

₊.ෆ*˚* 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄 ⁎ෆ*˚‧₊

JUNE 22, 1962
10:56 am.

frankies eyes focused on the paper in front of her. her hand moved along the paper as she drew onto it. the sun beamed down onto her face, causing her eyes to squint, and the wind blew her hair lightly. the heat of her front door steps pressed against her thighs below the shorts she wore.

she rolled the red sleeves on her baseball shirt up, refraining from smearing her drawing as she heard a cough come from in front of her. she looked up and saw benny, and the boy from yesterday who ran away towering over her.

"frankie, right?" he asked.

"—yeah, yeah, that's me." she replied. a smile forming on her face.

"this is smalls, the boy you stood up for yesterday."

she sighed and looked at him. he smiled and waved at her, his smile seemed genuine. she placed her drawing aside and stood up, dusting off her shirt.

"smalls, i'm frankie." she held her hand out for him.

he took it.

"nice to meet you." they said at the same time.

they awkwardly laughed before she turned back to benny. she knitted her eyebrows together as she looked confused.

"is there anything you need?" she started. "water? food? bathroom?"

"—no, no. we- well i, came to see if you wanted to play some ball with us?"

"oh, well, erm i'm not exactly the athletic type."

she mentally slapped herself. how could she humiliate herself in front of potential friends.

"that's cool, you don't have to be the best at baseball, besides, we can help you." he smiled.

she looked down at her drawing, it was babe ruth. she had a talent for drawing faces.

"besides you know your players." benny said pointing to her drawing.

"oh yeah, that. well i haven't played since i was younger, with my dad, but that would be appreciated." she began. "i'll be right back and i'll come along."

his smile didn't fade. he nodded, stepping down from the bottom step and facing the road.

a few minutes passed before the blonde came back out. she walked besides them before speaking up.