Blue

Camila's Pov

I use up all of the effort I can muster, letting out a forced shaky breath, before allowing myself to fall back to the ground. That makes twenty-four. My arms shake with the strain they've been put under, but still, I'm not tired. I feel like pure energy is coursing through my veins, making me restless as I try to shake it all out or, at the very least, use it all up. Twenty-four push-ups, thirty sit-ups, and countless laps of my cell and still, I can't wear myself out enough to sleep. I don't get it. Usually, I can do half of what I've done to get myself to sleep but now, when I'd rather risk the consequences of an afternoon nap than continue to be attacked by what she dug up in that stupid new thing she tried, it's impossible. My whole body is weary, but I could probably lap the prison's halls at least ten times before growing fatigued.

It's no use. I slam the sides of my fists into the ground to push myself back up to sit in the center of the cell with my knees tucked up to my chest. The tears that have burned the backs of my eyes since she took the goddamn cuffs off of me begin to trail down my face, leaving behind them a sweltering trail, but even that is not enough to draw me from my own mind. I'm falling, and I can't put my hands out to catch myself. My vision blurs, and I'm no longer here.

"Karla."

My heart leapt into my throat. I didn't bother trying to hide the evidence of my wrongdoing under the covers. Last time, he'd whipped them away the moment he entered the room. I doubted this time would be any different. I remained silent, even as the door swung open, even as he gave me a snarl seemingly reserved only for his most troublesome daughter. Sofia had yet to disappoint him. I hoped she never would.

"What did I tell you about those juguetes?"

I hung my head, jaw clenching as I let the bear fall from my hand. It had fallen from his crate last week before he left for the border. I knew I should've given her to Mami, but she was just too soft. I wanted to keep her for just a few days before she became a mula; I should've known better.

"Eres una idiota?" He snapped, making me flinch back.

I shook my head, but he stepped closer to me, reaching down to snatch the bear from the ground. He regarded it for a second or so before turning it over and tearing open its back. I winced once more, looking up to his dark eyes, though they were focused on his actions as he rummaged about within the bear. Clumps of white stuffing floated to the ground around our feet. I was old enough to know that teddy bears weren't really alive, but I still felt my chest tighten at the thought that maybe, just maybe, it was in pain. His hand returned to view, clutching a small plastic bag filled with paper scraps, though I knew that wasn't all it contained, a mere cover to hide his most valuable product. My eyes widened. I was in big, big trouble now.

Finally, he met my eyes again, though I kept mine down. "300 American dollars, mija." His voice was calm, too calm. It sent shivers up my back. "No eres más que una molestia inútil. How are you going to pay me back, hmm? No tienes valor."

My heart pounded at the thought of the lesson he might teach me now. "Please, Papi, I didn't know, I-"

"Cállate! I told you not to touch these! You have enough as it is, and yet you are greedy and take what is not yours." He all but growled, throwing the now-limp sack of a bear onto my bed, next to my only comfort in the form of Bella, a small knitted doll. Even she didn't make me feel better anymore. In fact, she scared me. She was all messed up from when Mami used her to teach me how to keep my face straight. "Come with me." He ordered, turning to leave the room. I hesitated, but quickly ran after him when he yelled, "Now!"