returned favor (4/4) ; kageyama tobio

pairing: kageyama tobio x gender neutral!reader

genre: fluff, college!au
type: mini-series
word count: 3.6k (pt. 4), 10.2k (whole)
warnings: none
summary: taking a break from part-time work was all of a sudden not so bad when you meet sleepy guy from the library's fifth floor
disclaimer: while the story has been set in a japanese university, i don't study in japan to know how college life works there. please note that some details have been taken in the context of ph college life and a little of usa college life. please also keep in mind that this is not a representation of japanese college life, and i do not wish to offend anyone with what i have written. this is a work of fiction, but should you spot anything that misrepresents and/or disrespects any culture or nationality, feel free to inform me so that i may correct it.

˚ ✧₊⁎ ☆*:.。.°.*♡*.°.。.:*☆ ⁎₊✧ ˚

sunday had served as your break from everything except work. today, you were able to take your mind off your possibly forever-lost library buddy by focusing on serving customers. kawanishi even raised an eyebrow, wondering why you were so mute. usually, you'd be complaining about employees' rights five minutes after entering the café.

you headed back to your dorm as soon as your shift finished. it was just past six in the evening, so you opted to rest for a while before doing anything related to academics. being temporarily vacant, you decided to call tsutomu, hoping that this time, he wasn't too busy for a quick chat. he knew the recent goings-on in your life as you messaged (ranted about) everything to him, but he couldn't find the time to reply during the weekdays because their schedule was packed. it was the end of the week, and their training camp, today though, so hopefully they had wrapped up by this time.

it took a few tries and several minutes, but tsutomu picked up eventually, choosing the video chat option. his face popped up on the screen, and you could imagine your face on his phone, probably not recognizable because of the lack of lighting.

"you look sad, but at least you're not sick," he remarked, bringing the phone closer to his face. "sorry about not replying, training's tough. but we're resting now before we eat for dinner, so i got time."

"thanks, goshiki," you muttered.

he raised an eyebrow at your glum expression. "still that guy?" you hummed in reply.

you groaned out loud. "i didn't see him anywhere the whole week! like he's gone mia or something. i'm beginning to think he's not really real," you whined, putting the phone against something that could hold it up so that you could hug a pillow for comfort. tsutomu could see your whole miserable self this time with the new position.

"that's creepy." that earned him a glare, and he shot you a smile in an attempt to soothe your currently sensitive feelings.

"tough luck. can you describe or remember something about him? maybe i can ask around," he offered.

you'd feel glad that he would do something like that for you, but as explained before, you were stupid enough to forget asking his name. you knew nothing even remotely related to the guy.

"blue eyes... black hair?" you told him weakly, and he immediately gave you an unimpressed stare. even through a small screen, you could feel how much he was judging you inwardly.

"the fuck, you gotta be kidding," he mumbled. when you didn't say anything after that, he realized that all your messages saying, 'i'm so stupid, how can i not ask for his name?' were valid and spot on. he was judging you right now, undoubtedly wondering how on earth could someone be worse than him when it came to shooting one's shot. you knew he'd had bad attempts, but nothing this pitiful. truly, the both of you were meant to be bestfriends.