The Tree-House Hero

Hi, Loves!

It's been awhile since the last time. i hope you'll enjoy this. Also, the comments section is very open for your thoughts, okay?  Talk to you there. 

Happy reading!

***

Everything's black ... and silent – the kind of mood you feel in horror films when you wait for the big surprise. It's creepy, yes. But peaceful and reassuring.

It's more of a familiar feeling like it's taking Reena back to when she first felt it.

It was like when she was only 8 years old in her grandparents' house under the permeating steam of summer heat. Her family made it a mantra to visit her grandparents in Davao every summer and whenever big events are to be celebrated.

That time, they visited them for both reasons.

Reena was in the backyard and was about to play hide and seek with her cousins.

"Oops! It's me again." she shyly confirms her task. Paano ba kasi, napakataong bahay niya at sa mga ganitong pagkakataon lang siya nakakapaglaro with people her age. Masiyado kasing secluded ang village where they used live. The place didn't seem to show any signs of kids.

Ganun paman, sinikap ni Reena na matutuhan ang mechanics ng laro, pero sadyang hindi lang talaga siya pinapalad. Most of the time, kung hindi siya ang taya, siya naman ang kadalasang unang nahuhuli o nahahanap ng taya.

Napailing nalang si Vada, one of the few closest cousins ni Reena, as she watched her walk to the "it" point where she had to lean her head and count 1-3 to give time for the rest to hide.

Vada is younger than Reena but much tougher than her and any of her cousins. She's the youngest of the Ignacio-Tan Family. Kapatid ng tatay ni Reena ang mama niya.

"After all this time, you're still the unluckiest, Reena." Iona (a-yawn-ah) was passing by kasama ang kakambal nitong si Ilona bitbit ang hindi maiwan-iwan nilang salamin. They're three years older than Reena and the oldest among the cousins and the most rude too.

They're such a piece of work. Lalo na ngayon na isa na silang Ignacio, legally.

Reena's Auntie Klarissa and Uncle Dico recently announced they had successfully accomplished the process for their adoption which was why the family had to gather as one – to celebrate a milestone (as they call it).

"Wonder how she managed?" sabat ni Vada who's always been Reena and her other cousin's counter attacker when it comes to defending herself against the twins' nonsense, especially Iona's.

Kinakabahan ang lahat. Palagi nalang kasi itong nagyayari kapagka nagkikitakita sila. Last year was the worst.

Vada had to cut her hair short kasi hindi matanggal-tanggal ang mga bubble gum na nakadikit sa buhok niya after the twins installed it sa shower towel ni Vada. The twins, on the other hand, underwent further than that. They had to recover for more than a month dahil nagkaroon ng bakbakan ng rash allergy ang mga mukha nila after they ate the dish with chicken. Her Auntie Klarissa even had to set an appointment with a dermatologist kasi hindi na magkamayaw ang pamumula at pamamaga ng mga mukha nila.

In Vada's defense when asked why she did it, she just confidently said "It's time they learn their lesson from the royalty." Baliw talaga.

"Don't worry, will tutor you for free, ion head! Pa-schedule ka na ha?" Vada continued in full sarcasm.

"Whatever, Losers!" Iona barricaded her defeat by rolling her eyes at them and flipping her almost-frizzy hair and harshly grabbed her twin's shirt to head back in.