Chapter 1.

Diego's POV

"Good morning , the General wants you in his office now

"Good morning , the General wants you in his office now." Monica, one of coworkers said the second I stepped out of the elevator .

"Good morning to you too Monica."  I said sarcastically and she stuck out her tongue at me  making me chuckle before walking up to the General's office . I knocked twice before I heard him say 'come in ', I twisted the door knob and entered the familiar dark themed office.

"General , I heard that you wanted to see me . " I said walking up to his desk.

"Yes , please take a seat Agent Gracia ."  he said removing the cigar out of his mouth and blowing the smoke out , I chuckled before sitting on one of the chairs opposite him.

" I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to have one of those during work hours " I said pointing at the cigar in his hand , he waved me off laughing before placing a file in front of me.

"Advantages of being the General kido , open it . " he said before putting the cigar back in his mouth. I leaned forward and grabbed the file off the desk and opened it. I paged through the file before raising my head to look at the General .

" This is the Alvarez case . " I said tapping the file , " The one Arturo is covering" .

"Yes, I'm aware and Arturo no longer works for us . Arturo handed in his resignation letter yesterday so he's completely off the case, I probably would have given the case to someone else but there's nobody more suitable for this case than you. " he said blowing out smoke before putting his cigar out.

" There isn't ? General I'm sorry but I have my own fair share of cases which I still need to complete, I can't take this case. " I said closing the file and putting it back where I took it from.

" Don't worry about those cases, I already delegated them amongst your colleagues so you don't have any cases now . " he said with a shrug.

" What ?! You're supposed to run that by me first, why couldn't you just have someone else cover this case ?" I asked, my voice laced with anger. I take all of my cases very personal and serious so he had no business delegating them to my colleagues.

" NO I COULDN'T DIEGO !  " he yelled and I just leaned back into my seat and ran my hands down my face.

" Do you know why Arturo quit ? " he asked leaning back on his chair too , I sat up straight and looked at him

"Enlighten me ." I said in a bored tone

" The Alvarez case is not your regular criminal case, it's one of the biggest and most important Cartel cases we have ever had in this station. This case has been open for 22 months, that's almost two years. Trying to uncover or arrest the Alvarezs is like trying to catch an eagle with a dog , almost impossible. This case has been passed on from station to station and Commander to Commander  but they all eventually give up, this case is weighing down on my shoulders but I refuse to give up and give those dirty lunatics the satisfaction of winning. I'm putting you in charge of this case because I believe that you can crack it . " he said sounding exhausted , I heard about the Alvarez case but I never paid attention to it because it wasn't my job to.