Chapter 7

Kit Pic: Silvermoon

Silvermoon never really wanted a mate. She was terrified that they would leave her like her father left her mother. But she has nothing to worry about.

When Stromstone returned to the camp, things were quiet. Most of the cats wandered off to their dens to go to sleep. But instead of joining them, Stormstone went to the tunnel and crossed the river, going directly to Silvermoon. When he entered, Silvermoon was curled up on the floor. She didn't even move when he entered.

"Silvermoon? I went to the gathering and heard what happened. I just want to say... I believe you. I think you're innocent. And something else. Pastclan assigned me to be your protector. So... yeah." Stormstone said. Silvermoon didn't move.

"Silvermoon?" Stormstone called. Silvermoon didn't even twitch. Stormstone's heart stopped, and he felt cold. Had Jaggedclaw gotten here before he had? He scented the air. Nothing except Silvermoon's scent, his own scent, and the smell of blood. Blood! Stormstone padded forward.

Silvermoon's eyes were closed. He couldn't tell if she was breathing. He prodded her with a paw, but didn't get a reaction. Panicking, he rolled her over. She had a long scratch along her flank, and Stormstone could see the faint rise and fall of her chest. She was breathing.

"Oh Silvermoon! You didn't tell me how badly you were injured! I'll get some herbs! What was it? Yarrow for infection? No, golden-something. Oh well. I'll recognize the scent. And cobwebs! Lots of cobwebs! Don't move!" Stormstone commanded. He ran out of the cave and through the tunnel, then snuck into the medicine den. He quickly stole the herbs he needed and ran back. Silvermoon hadn't moved. He placed the herbs and cobweb on the floor and looked Silvermoon over.

"Who would have guessed that today I would play medicine cat?" Stormstone muttered. He began licking her fur, cleaning off all of the blood. There wasn't a spot on her fur that didn't have a bit of blood. Licking her scratch was sort of nasty for Stormstone though, and he gagged several times. Eventually, Silvermoon was clean.

Next he chewed up the herbs and put the juice on her scratches. She moaned slightly, but didn't stir. Then he put cobweb over the scratch. Finally, he sat back and admired his work.

"Twistedfoot wouldn't be proud, but not bad." Stormstone said to himself. Silvermoon's eyes blinked open, and she tried to stand up. Stormstone gently pushed her back down.

"Hey, relax. I'm no medicine cat, but I think that you shouldn't go moving for a while." Stormstone said with a grin.

"What happened? Why did you heal me? Didn't you go to the gathering?" Silvermoon asked.

"You sort of miss my whole speech because you were unconscious, but I did go to the gathering. I believe that you're innocent. And plus, I was chosen to be your protector by Pastclan." Stromstone explained.

"Thanks. For believing me." Silvermoon said softly.

"Of course. Mudpelt believes you're innocent too." He added.

"Mudpelt. He didn't try to defend me. He wouldn't even look me in the eye when I was banished."

"He told me at the gathering that he thinks you're innocent."

"I suppose that Tangledstar told you the same thing? None of those cats cares about me. None of them except for Spiritstone."

"I believe you." Stormstone laid beside Silvermoon on the floor. She laid her head on the ground and sighed.

"What really happened? I have a feeling you didn't tell me everything about what happened that day." He said. Silvermoon took a deep breath.

"I was herb hunting with Spiritstone, the medicine cat, when she received a message from Pastclan. I heard it as well. We ran back to camp and told Tangledstar about it. He though it was about his kit, Moonkit. He posted guards. Me, Mudpelt, Fishfoot, and Jaggedclaw. When I was done with my shift, I went hunting. Jaggedclaw followed me and demanded I told him the prophecy. He thought he was in it. He wasn't though. At least, I didn't think he was at the moment. But he is. When I refused, he pulled Poolkit out of the bushes. He slashed at the kit, and I jumped forward to stop him. But he slashed at me, and I fell to the ground. Then he knocked me unconscious, and I woke up surrounded by angry cats who sentenced me to banishment." Silvermoon explained.

"That's... dreadful." Stormstone got out. Silvermoon didn't reply.

"If you need some time, I'll give you some privacy." Stormstone said, standing up.

"No, please don't leave me. It's been so long since I could actually trust another cat." Silvermoon said. Stormstone laid down beside Silvermoon again and closed his eyes. Both cats purred happily through the night.

--- the next day ---

Stormstone woke up to bright light shining through the cave door. Silvermoon was still sleeping. Stormstone pulled himself away from her and groomed himself, then padded towards the entrance of the cave. The sun had just risen, and none of the clan cats were awake. He glanced once more at Silvermoon, then padded through the tunnel and to the Warriors den. He climbed into his nest and closed his eyes, pretending to be asleep. Soon he actually did fall asleep, dreaming of Silvermoon.

The days blended into each other. Stormstone hunted and watched out for the clan. There was no trouble. The cats mostly left him alone, other than Fleetfoot. He avoided her. Every evening Stormstone would bring Silvermoon herbs and prey, and they would groom each other. Then he would lay beside her and they would sleep together through the night, until Stormstone would wake up in the morning and go to the Warriors den. Silvermoon slowly healed, and her scratches vanished. She became happier and more talkative, sometimes walking with Stormstone along the river at night.

But one day Silvermoon noticed a change. She began to feel sluggish, and she had less energy. She told herself it was because she wasn't getting exercise and was eating so much prey, but she wasn't so sure. One day she realized what it was. And it terrified her.

"Stormstone." Silvermoon said one night while Stormstone took up his usual position beside her.

"What is it?" Stormstone asked, pausing.

"I... I have something very important to tell you." Silvermoon admitted. Here it was. The big moment.

"What is it Silvermoon? Are you sick? Do you need something?" Stormstone asked.

"I'm going to have kits." She finally admitted. Stormstone froze. He pulled away from her, blinking.

"Kits?" He finally got out. Silvermoon nodded.

"Are you sure?" He asked.

"I'm sure." Silvermoon told him. He sat down slowly.

"I'm going to be a father." He said softly. Silvermoon smiled weakly.

"I'm going to be a father!" Stormstone said louder, jumping around the cave. Silvermoon stayed in the ground.

"What are we going to name them? How many do you think there are? Do you think they look like you, or like me, or both?" Stormstone asked, padding up to Silvermoon and poking Silvermoon's belly with his nose.

"I don't know. It's too early to tell." Silvermoon laughed. Stormstone licked Silvermoon's belly, and she purred and closed her eyes. He slowly worked his way up to her face.

"I can't believe this!" Stormstone finally said. Silvermoon opened her eyes.

"Stormstone, you do realize you can't tell anyone this." Silvermoon said seriously. Stormstone stopped moving.

"I... I hadn't thought about that." He finally said.

"If anyone finds out, they'll probably kill me. And the kits too. You'll be an outcast." she told him. Stormstone padded over and licked her face again, then her belly.

"I won't tell a soul. For you, and for our kits." Stormstone promised.

"I know you won't." Silvermoon said with a smile. Then Stomestone began licking her all over again, and she closed her eyes and rested. Not a sound came out of the cave other than the occasional purr.