he was a shadow

"Hey, when will you ever stop clinging on to that explosive boy? Clearly he's not perfect for you," Midoriya flinched at the boy's grumbling and pouted. Looking down he sighed, "Kacchan is... He's still Kacchan. He just doesn't know how to act... normal again," Midoriya cringed at his poor attempt at defending his friend.

The boy was clearly not believing him and instead scoffed and said; "Hey, can you give some food? I'm hungry," the boy said. Izuku was irked, "Again?" Because apparently, this had been his fifth attempt at eating. Izuku's pocket money was crying.

"Hey, hey! I'm doing you a good job! If it wasn't for me you'd wallow in death right now," Izuku flinched. The boy was right, he'd been protecting him from dangers that he'd been facing all day. Before he'd sometimes get targeted by petty thugs for his money but now, with him, he was okay.

Because he was protecting him from behind. He was protecting him like his shadow.

He was a shadow.

Yeah, it was when Izuku was just somewhere around four or five when he was announced quirkless. He had cried all week and sometimes hid from his mother and was always coming to his childhood park.

Then one day, this boy just came out of nowhere.

---

"Why're you crying?"

Izuku gasped and looked around with his puffed red eyes but found no one. He was alone and scared, he wanted to go home.

"Down here~"

Izuku followed the voice, which was closer than he expected

"Here! Look at your shadow,"

When Izuku looked at his shadow, he was terrified when his own shadow was moving! It was waving at him. "W-What-!"

"Calm down!" the boy said. "I-It's just my quirk! See? I can dive into any shadows and move them." Izuku's shadow did some hand movements. Then the shadow hummed, "Though, I can't control the person," Izuku flinched, thinking that the boy was going to use him.

"But enough about me!" the shadow directly looked at the terrified Izuku, "What are you doing here? It's almost night time and I'm pretty sure you're too young to be on your own..."

"I... ran away," Izuku reluctantly said. "It was 'cause I was upset," he mumbled and buried his face on his knees.

"I see..." the boy hummed. "Then I'll keep you company!"

"Huh?"

"It's cause... I can't even deactivate my quirk..." the boy laughed but somehow Izuku heard pain mixed in there. "I've been lurking around every shadow and I was just resting in some tree then I found you, so, I'll be with you from now on!"

"Really...?

For once, Izuku felt euphoria. He'd never had another friend other that Kacchan... But because of their problem right now, he was glad to find another one he could lean on for support. Even if that someone was a shadow.

"Well, until we find someone to deactivate my quirk for me..." the boy hummed.

"Someone can do that?" Izuku gasped in astonishment. His shadow- the boy, nodded. "Yeah! His name is EraserHead! His quirk can deactivate someone's quirk, like erasing them. I've been around underground for some time and heard he's newly debuted, just in the underground." the boy explained.

Izuku blinked. For a second, he heard the boy really admire the said hero and giggled. "You really like that hero? We're the same, I also like- no..." Izuku shook his head, "I absolutely love this one hero, his name is All Might," Izuku sighed dreamily.

The boy chuckled and nodded. "So I'll be in your care...?"

"Midoriya Izuku!" Izuku cheerfully answered.

"Great! I'll be in your care, Midoriya- kun!"

"What about you? What's your name?"

"I'm [m/n]. Just... [m/n]."

---

And since then, he'd always find himself entertained with you beside him.

And over the years, he'd found new things about your quirk. Like how you could actually devour anything and store them into any shadow you're in, and you could actually make any shadow you're inside move, but not control the physical thing.

Sometimes, Izuku could hear you sigh and sulk because he knew you've been wishing for the day you can finally appear physically, not just a shadow in someone or something. You disappear for some time to find shadows that aren't affected by sunlight. 

Because once the light hits you, you're forever gone.

That's why you always find something to survive. You aren't someone special or anything.

Because at the end of the day, you're just a shadow. A shadow that looks like any other.