Hold Back The River (James Bay)

Percy waited for Annabeth to come home. He didn't care if she was in a relationship. Well, he did. But if his love was unrequited it shouldn't matter anyway, right?

He dressed up, not too fancy, but a suit, without the blazer or tie. He had reserved them a table at her favourite Greek restaurant and was waiting for hee impatiently, nervously. His hair wasn't sitting quite right and it bothered him. It really did. His hair was the one thing he always gave up on, the same way Annabeth was the one thing he should have but never pursued.

He could hear Annabeth on the other side of the door. With a man. Luke. Percy growled. He didn't want to. He heard the soft breath that followed a goodbye kiss and the whispered promise of tomorrow. He gagged. He didn't want to puke.

Annabeth walked through the door. He could see the smile lighting up her face. Her face fell slightly when she eyed the way he was dressed. "Rachel?" She asked, pushing past him to get to the vestibule and eventually her room.

"You." Percy breathed. She was too far away to hear him, he thought anyway.

Annabeth swiveled around to face him. "What did toy say?" Her voice was light and hopeful. Hee eyes shining even more so.

"Rachel and I are done, I was hoping to celebrate with you over dinner." Percy may have blushed but he was more confident in this moment than he had ever been before.

Annabeth's smile was so wide, it made his heart leap. He had made that. "I was going to go see Piper and Jason, but I'll calk them and tell them I can't. Where are you taking me?"

Percy was going to tell her she didn't have to come if she already had plans. He should have known, she always had a plan. "If you've already told them-"

"What and let you take Sally? Seaweed Brain, your mum wants you out on dates and bringing back grandkids, not to supplement the woman by having dinner with you. She loves you, but not enough to get in the way of your love life."

Percy wanted to tell her he wasn't ready to have children of his own. But he walk wanted to tell her that he had found who he hoped would be the mother of his children. In fact, he had found her on the steps of his school the day before school started. He found her with her head in her hands and tears falling rapidly. He had sat beside her and waited until she was comfortable. He had thought she was beautiful and he had never let her shed a tear without his healing hugs engulfing her again.