ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 2 | ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴀɴᴏʀ

A notebook, a few changes of clothes, and a boxy kodak camera were all Y/N was going to pack into their battered old trunk. It was all they needed, really-- provided that their visit to Oletus Manor didn't last longer than they feared it might.
Y/N was certainly nervous about leaving, there was no question about that. They were absolutely terrified. But, no matter how close they came to calling it quits, their resolve powered through and pushed them to finish their packing.

Once they had all of their things in order, Y/N cast one last look at their quiet, cozy little home. Something about leaving it unattended struck a chord of sadness within them-- it was a reminder that they were completely uprooting their stable and balanced routines for some quick, creepy thrill.

Y/N sighed. Trying to quell their anxious thoughts, they drummed a finger on the windowsill, looking out into the bustling streets below. People had their scarves wrapped tightly around their mouths and their hands up to guard themselves against the harsh, chilly wind; a telltale sign that winter was fast approaching.

"Hopefully I'll be home before the first snowfall," Y/N muttered bitterly. "I'd hate to have to lug my things through the slush."

They stepped away from the window and moved towards the front door, their hand hovering over the brass doorknob hesitantly.
This was their last chance to give up. After they stepped outside and locked the door behind them, there would be no going back.

Y/N considered turning around and unpacking their trunk one last time before bracing themselves and pushing open the door. It swung shut behind them with a dramatic bang, and once Y/N had taken their house key out of the keyhole, they released a kempt-up sigh of relief that they didn't even know they were holding in.

Knowing what was done, Y/N briskly turned away from their home and set off into the streets towards the train station.
They gripped their trunk's handle in one hand and their invitation in the other. Trying to stave off their doubt, Y/N began subconsciously rubbing the red wax seal until it was no more than a red stain on an envelope.

ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅɴ'ᴛ ʜᴇʟᴘ ʙᴜᴛ ᴛʜɪɴᴋ-- ᴅɪᴅ ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴍᴀᴋᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ʀɪɢʜᴛ ᴄʜᴏɪᴄᴇ?

-_-_-_-_-

"This is as far as I go, kid. Sorry."

"That's quite alright, thank you for all of your help!"

Y/N got out of the back of the taxi, dropping a few coins into the cab driver's hands. He snatched them up greedily and eyed the young O/P warily, sizing them up with his beady little eyes.

"Are you sure ya wanna go to Oletus Manor? Lots of bad things happen there. The place is cursed, I tell ya."

Y/N grabbed their trunk and nodded. "Believe me, I know, but I've dedicated myself to making this trip. I can't just turn back now."

The cab driver snorted. "Well, good luck dedicating yourself to the long trek through the woods. Hope ya find what yer looking for."

"Ah, thank y--" The car tires screeched against the asphalt road as it sped away, leaving them alone. "--ou."

Y/N sighed through their teeth, muttering irritably about how rude that encounter was.
Though, brash as he was, that was the only cab driver in town willing to drive Y/N this close to the manor, so they would give credit where credit was due. Of course, the trip had cost them a small portion of their life savings, but Y/N wasn't entirely bothered by that. Perhaps, if they were lucky, the Manor Owner would financially compensate them in some way.

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves, though," They muttered, trudging alongside the dirt road. "I've got to get to the manor first. If I keep up my current pace, It shouldn't be too long until I get there."