ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 8 | ʙʟᴀᴅᴇ ᴅᴀɴᴄᴇʀ

"Come on, B/N, Speke Hall is just over the horizon! I can see it from here!" 

B/N blinked through the blinding lights glinting in the sky, raising a hand to shield his eyes. Y/N sighed to themselves. They were seeing another memory from their brother's point of view, and they had a feeling that it wasn't going to end happily. These memories never did-- they always stopped at the worst of moments, when the dread had been pooling in their brain and the anxiety had been leaping in their heart the most. Despite the lingering fear, though, they had to admit that it was a beautiful day outside.
The sun shone through the fluffy white clouds, bathing the rolling plains in warm sunlight. Speke Hall stood against the skyline on the roads beyond, casting a slight shadow over the younger B/N and Y/N as they approached. 

The younger Y/N looked excited, but whenever they looked at the supposedly harmless manor, a knot of fear and loathing began to twist in the O/P's stomach. This was the cursed place that B/N died in. This is where they lost their brother. Of course, younger Y/N couldn't have possibly known that as they giddily grabbed B/N by the arm and ran up to the driveway, unknowingly dragging the poor boy towards his demise. From within his mind, Y/N had to mentally steady themselves from the sudden force. They never remembered being that strong.

Y/N took out their shiny new camera and began rapidly clicking photos all around the outside garden. B/N, distraught, grabbed their shoulder harshly. "Don't do that," He said. "You're taking them too fast. You might ruin the film."

Y/N scoffed and playfully waved their brother off. "On the contrary, my dear brother, I think that the film will be just fine. Besides-- discovery waits for no man, and it certainly doesn't wait for camera film!"
Tucking the half-developed photos they took into their satchel bag, Y/N looped their arm into B/N's and skipped up to the door. Literally skipped-- they looked so joyous and giddy, it was almost cute. Y/N hadn't felt excitement like that for a long time, but the memories of such feelings began to stir in their heart upon looking at their younger self. It was bittersweet, to be sure-- how they longed for the days where they didn't have to carry the guilt of their brother's death on their shoulders, and instead could spend that time making meaningful memories with him.

Younger Y/N suddenly kicked in the door with a loud bang, snapping them out of their thoughts instantaneously. They, like B/N, cringed at the noise, recoiling back as the young investigator began strolling around the dusty foyer and snapping more photos. B/N leaned against a splintered wooden pillar and rolled his eyes distastefully. 

"You know, you really shouldn't be kicking in the door like that. Your blatant disrespect might upset the scary little ghosts," He snickered, but Y/N only whirled around on their heel and darted up to B/N, a suddenly excited gleam in their eye. 

"Wait, really? Do you think that maybe they'd reveal themselves to me if I made more noise?!" B/N's eyes widened. As he watched his younger sibling run around the hall and shout obscene things at the ceiling, he knew that he had messed up. He pinched the bridge of his nose and exhaled sharply, speaking out to stop Y/N from making a fool of themselves.

"Y/N, I was being sarcastic. Ghosts don't exist, and even if they did, I'm sure that they wouldn't show up just because some little boy/girl was yelling at them."

"Oh." Y/N's grin faltered. They pouted and crossed their arms in defiance. "Well, that doesn't mean that they don't exist. I've just got to try to draw them out another way!" They batted their brother in the arm, leading him into the next room.

"ʏᴏᴜ'ᴠᴇ ɢᴏᴛᴛᴀ ꜱᴛᴏᴘ ʙᴇɪɴɢ ꜱᴏ ᴘᴇꜱꜱɪᴍɪꜱᴛɪᴄ, ʙ/ɴ. ɪ'ᴍ ɢᴏɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ᴘʀᴏᴠᴇ ᴛᴏ ʏᴏᴜ ᴀɴᴅ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏᴏɴᴇ ʙᴀᴄᴋ ɪɴ ʜ/ᴛ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɢʜᴏꜱᴛꜱ ᴅᴏ ᴇxɪꜱᴛ! ᴊᴜꜱᴛ ᴡᴀɪᴛ ᴜɴᴛɪʟ ɪ ꜱʜᴏᴡ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏᴏɴᴇ ᴀʟʟ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴏᴏʟ ꜱᴛᴜꜰꜰ ɪ ꜰᴏᴜɴᴅ..."