ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 4 | ꜰɪʀꜱᴛ ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ

Y/N woke up in a room they didn't recognize in a body that didn't belong to them. It took a moment for them to process their position, and once they connected the dots, they mentally gasped.

"What the hell happened to me? Where am I? Why can't I move?!"

The poor young O/P tried squirming and directing the body to get out of the unfamiliar bed, but it ignored them, remaining completely stagnant. 

At least, it did until someone barged into the room and threw open the curtains.

The body, moving without Y/N's command, threw a large hand over its eyes and groaned irritably. "I never should have given you a key to my house... " It said through its teeth. Y/N was taken aback by how masculine his voice was-- and how familiar it sounded. Did they know this man from somewhere?

"Aw, come on, what kind of a brother/sister would I be if I didn't come to wake you up?" The other person replied cheerily, throwing the heavy sheets off of the man. Y/N froze. They'd know that voice anywhere.

Feeling the body groggily slump out of the bed, Y/N was met with a bright-looking young man/woman in F/C clothing. It was like they were looking in a mirror.

Y/N was staring directly into the smiling eyes of themselves, only a few years younger.  

Too stunned to say anything, Y/N barely reacted as the younger Y/N gave the body a tight hug in greeting. Only when they let go did they react to the encounter.

"What. The. Hell."

"Hurry up and get dressed, today's the day we investigate Speke Hall!" Young Y/N smiled, skipping off into the hallway. "I've heard that it's haunted with actual ghosts-- this is going to be so exciting, don't you think so, B/N?"

The man turned to look at a mirror in the side of the room, and his reflection nearly brought Y/N to tears.  

There he was, with his awkward height and shaggy H/C hair. Their beloved older brother. It felt as if he was staring directly into Y/N's soul through the mirror, and they could've sworn they could see a reflection of their tears in his deep, thoughtful eyes. 

"ʏᴇᴀʜ, ɴ/ɴ. ꜱᴜʀᴇ ɪᴛ ᴡɪʟʟ."

Y/N woke with a start. They yelped in surprise as they were yanked out of their dream by Emma, who yanked them out of bed cheerily. 

"Rise and shine, Mister/Missy! Today's your big day, you've been assigned your first bout of matches--" She stopped. "Ah, are you alright, Y/N? You're. . . crying."

Y/N wiped away the tears at the corner of their eye, sniffing. "It's nothing. Just a bad dream."

Emma nodded in understanding and smiled. "It's okay, we all get night terrors sometimes. I know I do!" She laughed. "I'm honestly quite surprised you got any sleep at all-- it looks like you were up late last night. You didn't even get a chance to change into your nightwear!"

The O/P nodded. They had spent the late hours of the night compiling all of the evidence they could into their notebook and probably had fallen asleep while they were working. Even their broken, portable camera was still hanging around their neck. For a moment, Y/N was alarmed that Emma might notice her odd handheld camera, but if she did, she didn't say anything.

"Well, at least I don't have to get changed now, right?" Y/N joked. The gardener giggled, grabbing them by the hand and leading them to the dining room where breakfast was being served. Unlike yesterday evening, breakfast seemed to be a bit more relaxed-- not everyone was present, and the survivors that were there were huddled together in small cliques, murmuring to one another quietly.