7 Days [Hope]

"So you only remember coming here? Not who you came with?" Uta asked Y/N as he hovered next to her, with curious eyes. His kakugan didn't seem to put Y/N on edge, but Kaneki was sure to keep his eye on the two.

"N-Not really. The doctor said that he's surprised my memories have come back so early... he surprised any have come back all. Some parts of my life are still blurry but everything is returning back slowly,"

"Really... So, do you know who he is?" Uta asked as he pointed at Kaneki with his finger. Y/N turned to face the white-haired boy, who suddenly fail shy under her gaze. His pale cheeks flared a deep pink and he could barely look her in the eye.

This was the first time in nearly two months that they made eye contact that lasted more than two awkward seconds.

She shook her head no as she concentrated on Kaneki harder.

"Not ringing bell but... I wouldn't mind getting to know him," Y/N suggested as she smiled warmly at Kaneki, who felt like this was the best thing he heard in weeks.

Kaneki had faith that this wouldn't have to be a new beginning, and that eventually Y/N might remember, but being acknowledged by her for now was good enough.

"Sure, I'd really like that." Kaneki beamed as he tried to contain his excitement.

Then, Y/N laughed, as she outstretched her hand for Kaneki to take into his own. Uta walked away as if to give them alone time.

"Y/N L/N," She spoke in her sickeningly sweet and familiar voice.

I know, Kaneki mentally answer.

"I'm Kaneki Ken, and I'd really look forward to getting to know."

Something warm was budding in Kaneki's chest as he took Y/N's warm hand in his own.

For once in a long time, Kaneki actually felt,

Hope.