Chapter 1 - River

"I hate it here Emily," Special trainee agent River Leland groaned. Special Agent Emily Prentiss laughed on the other side of the phone.

"Riv, you literally graduate in an hour and you join the BAU officially next week. What could possibly be so bad about being there that it can't wait an hour?"

River took a long look around her now packed up Academy dorm room. All she could hear were boys outside cheering and laughing - celebrating their graduation day.
"There's too many boys here," she sighed.

"Well, with you joining the team along with me, JJ, and Penelope, the BAU boys club is now 50/50 on the gender spectrum." River could hear Emily picking at her nails through the phone. River knew she had been stressed out lately having had to take on the unit chief responsibilities while Special Agent Aaron Hotchner was away on a mission for the state department. He had been gone for almost six months now in who-knows-where-sandistan and River hasn't even met the guy yet. Emily took her under her wing for training not long after he left and now she was graduating to become an official member.

"When does Agent Hotchner get back?"

Emily sighed, "I don't know yet to be honest...could be tomorrow, could be next month, and I mean hell knowing the state department, he could never come back."

"He will be back Emily, I mean you told me that he has a son that means more to him than anything so he has to come back for him." River wanted to encourage her in anyway she could. The director and section chief were giving her hell about anything and everything but Emily could hold her own.

"You're right, you're right! It's going to be okay and we will have you to help us starting next week. So, go get ready and pretend to be excited for an hour and enjoy your graduation. It might be the end, but it's also a new beginning."

"I'm gonna try," River laughed, "talk to you later Em." River hung up the phone and tried to remember Emily's words of wisdom. A new beginning...that's what she needed, a fresh start.

A loud crash in the hallway caused her to flinch and her heart to race in the way loud noises always have. The guys must have broken something. She was unsure about her new beginnings but she sure was glad that this place was ending for good.