INT. TONDY'S BAR AUGUST TWENTY-SIXTH, THREE AM

WILLOW is sitting at the bar, downing Everclear and smoking a blunt.

MADDOX enters stage right. He stops when he sees WILLOW, he shakes his head and approaches her.

MADDOX
Penny for your thoughts?

MADDOX summons the bartender, with a flick of his wrist. Bartender slides him a beer. WILLOW and MADDOX sit in silence as WILLOW keeps downing shots and MADDOX lightly sips his beer. MADDOX takes the blunt from WILLOW, he takes a drag off it and then ashes it.

You've hurt for far too long, it's time to move on... To get past this denial stage.

WILLOW sadly sighs.

Empathy without boundaries is just self-destruction, Willow.

WILLOW's hand moves to her stomach, she takes her joint back and sucks in and holds it.

You remind me of pottery, Willow.

WILLOW blows out a cloud of smoke.

WILLOW
[slurred] That doesn't sound too bad, it's pretty. [sly grin at MADDOX]

MADDOX
[wistful] Yeah, awfully pretty, [knowing tone] but shatters easily.

MADDOX grabs WILLOW's shot and downs it. He flips WILLOW a penny, it lands on the counter. Tails. He throws his money on the counter and saunters out stage left.

BARTENDER and WILLOW watch him. WILLOW takes another drag off her joint, ashes it and goes to reach for another shot.

BARTENDER
Willow, I'm cutting you off. I'll call you a cab.