War Hero

When a troubled veteran is confronted on stage he is forced to face his horrific past, as his private hell becomes a public spectacle.

David Forrester has spent the last fifty years haunted by his experiences in the Vietnam war. In an attempt to distance himself from the trauma, he's done everything he possibly can to outrun his past. When he attends a commemoration conference for veterans in which he is the honorary guest, he finds himself confronting the horrors from which he has fled for so long. Despite his best efforts, his past catches up with him and facing his demons will change the direction of his future forever.

Copyright © 2019, 2020 by Malcolm Oz.

This is part of a collection with eight books total. They range from happy, to bittersweet to straight up tragic. If you'd like to read the rest of them here are the titles:

ARIZONA SUN

An attractive, but aging woman fights for her last chance at love while on a road trip that will change her life.

Jessica has spent her entire adult life searching for the right partner, but time and time again she has failed to cultivate a real relationship. Things always seemed to start out wonderful and happy, but eventually discontent reared its ugly head and her seemingly loving relationship always went from bad to worse. Not anymore; that was her past and now she's finally moved on and met the man of her dreams. All is well as Jessica and her boyfriend head out on her most anticipated adventure: a road trip to the Grand Canyon. Their trip seems picture perfect at first, but as new insights are brought to light, Jessica's last hope for real love rapidly begins to fade. In the midst of the conflict, she is left with a question: Will she finally experience the love she so desperately needs or will history repeat itself?

GOOD INTENTIONS

A baseball bat, an antique, and a bloodthirsty intruder. When faced with the choice between saving a life and saving a fortune, Nina finds herself at a loss. Can you put a price on human life?

Two siblings find themselves the victims of a robbery; they rush to the panic room in hopes that the intruders won't find them. As the situation escalates, it becomes clear that the intruders refuse to settle for half measures. They won't be satisfied with anything less than destroying Nina and Tyler's lives. Nina finds herself struggling with the most terrifying decision she's ever had to make. One that will make her question the value of her loyalty and even her own capacity for love.

BULLY

When a bully causes his victim to be hospitalized, he is left to confront the choices that led to this road and deal with the consequences of his actions.

Buddy -a not so popular highschooler- is victimized by his fellow classmate Allen. As a result he's rushed to the emergency room where both parties are forced to confront their deepest fears and Buddy finds himself with the power to choose Allen's fate. Will he choose forgiveness or revenge?

DANGEROUS WATERS

When two friends embark on the fishing trip of their dreams, they are suddenly faced with an unthinkable choice: Which one of them deserves to live?

Long time friends Bruce and Tommy decide they need some time away from the anxiety of the modern world and take a fishing trip to procure some much needed rest. When an unexpected storm strikes fast and hard, the relaxed but competitive adventure soon becomes a matter of life and death. Stranded thousands of miles away from any human contact and increasingly reliant on dwindling supplies, the two friends brace themselves for the battle of a lifetime.

BLOOD SWEAT AND TIMEBOMBS

For a jaded SWAT officer a hostage situation is just another day, but when a terrorist group strikes at the heart of everything he loves, things quickly become personal.

SWAT officer Don has had a long and storied career. While never easy, he finds himself increasingly unfulfilled and becoming more and more cynical. When a routine call escalates to frenzied heights, Don finds himself shaken out of complacency and into a pulse pounding race to save lives, his career and the chance to silence the phantoms of his past.

PROMISES, PROMISES

If the last thing you said to the person you loved most was a promise to fulfill their dying wish, would you break that promise?

Lucy, a young girl on a field trip, carries a memento of her father wherever she goes. She often mourns his loss, but having a part of him with her helps to dull the pain. When she makes a mistake that causes her to lose her most valued possession, she finds herself racing to save it and fighting with everything she has to keep her promise and stay faithful to her father's dying wish.

DAYS SOBER

Addiction is insidious. Like a moth to flame, we are drawn to it, not realizing our mistake until it's too late.

Marty is a faithful family man with old fashioned values... and a hardcore alcoholic. When his addiction causes a rift in his family he must face his demons and overcome his addiction or risk losing everything that matters.