Chapter One

James followed his father Richard, as they moved through the crowd at the annual veteran's commemoration conference. Richard attended every year, but this was the first time James was allowed to attend with him. James looked up to his father and wanted to do everything he could to be like him. He was proud of Richard for serving in the military and wanted to do the same when he grew up.

As far back as he could remember, James had begged his mother every year to let him go to the conference, but her response was always the same. "I don't want you caught up in a violent culture," she said. James never understood that. How was it a violent culture? It wasn't like they were actually going to fight. This was just about celebrating the people who defended the country. James always thought it was noble, something to aspire to, but his mother didn't seem to agree. He'd pondered this for some time, but still couldn't fathom why she'd come to this conclusion. Ultimately, he decided to bring the question to his father.

Richard had paused, taking a moment to think, then lowered his voice considerably as he spoke, almost as if he were telling a secret:

"The real reason mom doesn't want you coming to these conferences is she knows you want to follow in my footsteps when you get older. She's just worried about you going off to war. A lot of people aren't as lucky as I was, you know. So many young soldiers never make it back to see their family. And many that do, don't come back whole. Whether it be physical, psychological or emotional."

"But that's the risk we take to serve our country. That's the sacrifice we make. Being a patriot is not an easy thing, but it's an honorable one."

James focused his attention back on Richard now, mentally moving from the past into the present. He looked upon him with admiration. His father was a patriot and he'd raised James to be one as well. He'd thought a lot about what Richard had told him and ultimately decided that he was strong enough to take on the challenge and make the honorable sacrifice when the time came. Being here with his father, surrounded by patriots who had done the same, bolstered his confidence.

During the conference, James wanted to speak with Richard, but it was usually too loud for them to have a normal conversation. As a result, James mostly followed Richard silently and listened as he caught up with old war friends. It was nice meeting his father's old friends, but he was most excited about the old war heroes who were the guests of honor. They were really what the conference was about, but most who attended were like Richard. The main draw for them was catching up with old friends. Then again, many felt the same way James did and wanted to pay respects to the ones who came before them. The ones that inspired them to make the same sacrifice.

There were quite a few well-known veterans attending, but James was looking for one in particular. David Forrester. He'd served in the Vietnam war and was a highly decorated war hero. Everyone loved him. His story of trial and victory was one of the most intriguing and inspiring James had ever heard. Richard was a fan as well.

It was actually Forrester's incredible life's story that inspired Richard to join the military. Forrester was revered among patriots and his fame was probably driven just as much by mystery as it was anything else. Perhaps more so. Not much was known about Forrester, only that he'd fought bravely in the war.

It was said that he courageously fought and miraculously won, a battle behind enemy lines, against impossible odds. This was one of the most exciting moments of James young life and he kept his eyes peeled, not wanting to miss the opportunity to meet his hero in person or the chance to actually speak with him.

James had decided that Forrester's courage is what inspired him most to follow in his father's footsteps and take up the mantle of a soldier, but he'd taken Richard's warnings to heart and determined that meeting Forrester and hearing his first-hand account would be the deciding factor in whether or not he joined the military in six short years.