Chapter fourteen: we got this here

I don't own fablehaven

They didn't even need to open the door. Kendra gripped her sword a little harder. She would have preferred a bow, but down here, it wouldn't do much.

She gave a glance to Bracken and Seth who stood at her side. Kendra lifted her chin defiantly, and the three stepped in. Bracken and Seth led the way, seeing as they had known where the people were...Kendra hoped.

They twisted around corners, but their general direction seemed to be going further down. Kendra had never really liked it down here. only at certain times she had visited. Times like going to Vanessa's box or going to see Patton's messages or sneaking into the house. When she thought about it, she came here more frequently than any normal person with a dungeon in their basement would.

Bracken put his arms out in front of the siblings. "I can hear them." And Kendra could too. They kept on muttering words and their breath came out in large huffs.

"What should we d—"

Blistered fingers covered Kendra's mouth. She tried to elbow the person behind her, but her arm stopped against something. Bracken and Seth were in the same position, Seth being pinned by Tanu and Bracken being grabbed by Warren, Warren touching the part his jacket covered.

And Seth said they had been secured.

There were plenty of things Kendra tried. She had kicked furiously. She had punched wrists. Even the bite hadn't worked. Although, Kendra had to note that Dale's, who she assumed was holding her, hands did not settle well in her mouth.

Kendra and the others were marched along the dreary corridors. The only sound came from the dull thud of a water dripping. Kendra glanced at Bracken and Seth. They were struggling to get away, too. Kendra motioned with her eyes for Seth to do something. He gave her an exasperated look. She shifted her gaze to Bracken, and she saw the familiar fire lighten up his eyes. He had a plan.

As the three of them were shuffled forward, Bracken did nothing. Kendra began to grow anxious. Her nerves were shot and the excitement, as Seth would have called it, was catching up to her.

Kendra sighed in relief when Bracken jerked down and swung to the left. Warren's grip never left, but it loosened.

And that was enough.

Bracken freed a hand and touched Warren's arm. Warren let out a short scream before Bracken's other hand socked him in the face, leaving the skin pink behind. Warren stumbled back again. Bracken made a quick dash to Seth and reached out towards Tanu. The big man did his best to avoid him, even going as far as using Seth as a shield, but Bracken touched him too.

Kendra tried to free herself. She thought that her magic might affect Dale as well, but like before, it hadn't worked.

Bracken came over to her. He seemed to have perfected his technique, and Dale was down fast. Bracken was a human, or rather unicorn, taser. That didn't stop Warren from rearing back up and charging Bracken.

Kendra swung out of the way. Movement caught her eye, but before she could speak, Vanessa snaked from the shadows catching the two boys unaware.

Seth turned his head to glance back at Kendra. "Find the goblins! We got this here—" Seth was cut off my Vanessa. He returned the favor by punching her in the face "—rude! Oh you're going to get one for that."

Kendra didn't want to, but she turned and ran further down the hallways. Like any other time she had run away, she mentally kicked herself. But also like those times before, she had a reason. She kept a dead sprint until her lungs were ready to burst and she could hear no more noises.