Chapter 1 - Meetups X and X Farewell

Ging and Gon sat on top of the world tree; the wind, the stars, and the giant baby birds served as their only audience as the father and son told stories of their own adventures.

Ging laughed as he listened to Gon's stories, who in turn enthusiastically chronicled his adventures as a hunter to Ging.

"There was only the testing gate that can lead to the estate" said Gon.

He spread his arms in an attempt to show how big the testing gate on the Zoldyck estate. His energy and enthusiasm reminded him so much of himself when he was young.

Ging smiled as he watched his son.

'Even without a father, you've grown into a fine young man'', he thought.

He dreaded this day all these years. God knows how many excuses he conjured in order to avoid meeting his son. He was ashamed, perhaps scared too, because deep inside he knew how selfish he was to abandon his responsibility as a father in order to follow his dreams as a hunter.

He was scared to face his son after years of being away. He knew nothing of Gon, let alone be a father to him. Ging was never the father type, heck he's not a decent man altogether. But that's who he is, and nothing can change that.

Ging tried to provide guidance in other means. He created the greed island and devised a plan to let Gon meet his allies during his journey to find him.

All part of his attempt to make him stronger. Because he knew that surviving the hunter world will never be an easy feat. Hunters are selfish by nature, so if Gon ever decided to be a hunter, he wanted him to experience first hand the beauty and at the same time, the evil of the world.

But now that Gon is beside him, eyes sparkling innocently, he knew that Gon is strong. Not by the challenges Ging provided, but because of the people he met along the way.

Does he regret his decisions to leave his son? No.

But not regretting doesn't mean he forgot his son. Not a single day passed by that he didn't remember Gon. Despite that, he never returned home.

Ging shifted his eyes to look at the sky.

"Hey Gon... Aren't you gonna ask why I abandoned you as a child?" he asked slowly.

Ging waited for a response but he heard nothing.

"Gon?" he asked as he looks beside him.

"......." Gon's head swayed sleepily as he doze of.

"Oy! That's dangerous!" yelled Ging as he pulled his son close to him because Gon was dangerously leaning towards the edge of the giant bird's nest and to a one heck of a drop.

"Killua... I'm the one who won" Gon mumbled while dreaming as he leaned on his father's shoulders, drooling in the process.

Ging chuckled. "I guess you are an airhead too" he said.

He sat for a while, allowing his son to sleep beside him. Gon must be tired for climbing the world tree. Gon did fine for a beginner, but he was better when he first attempted the climb.

Ging closed his eyes, the night breeze was cool and quiet. He wanted to engrave this moment to his memories forever if he can. A selfish wish by someone who abandoned his child.

Ging stared at the horizon. Its late, and the wind is getting colder by the minute.

He streched his arms and said, "Yosh! It's time to go".

He carried his son on his back, careful not to wake him up.

He remembered the last time he held Gon, back when he was still a baby. Gon cried as Mito held him. His snot running down his nose as he desperately clinged to Ging's shirt, not wanting to part from his father.

The snotty baby he left is now a pro hunter. Time really does fly.

"Till next time, you noisy lot!" he said as he bid his farewell to the giant baby birds sleeping on the nest.

He took a step forward the edge of the nest and allowed himself and Gon to fall. The wind that met them was harsh and cold but he willed his aura to envelop him and Gon, protecting them from the wind. It was a quick fall and a few seconds later, he can see the ground. Before they reached the bottom, he separated most of his nen and focused it on his feet to slow down their fall. His nen allowed him to levitate before he safely touched the ground.

With Gon still sleeping on his back, he walked towards the nearest inn. Ging entered the room he rented and carefully tucked his son on the bed. He sat besides the bed for a moment, as he stared at his son's sleeping face. He reached out and smoothed Gon's hair.

"Green hair, like your mother's" he whispered. A memory briefly flashed on his mind catching him off guard. A tear fell from his eye and he quickly wiped it with his sleeves.

It's been so long since he allowed himself to feel emotional. The last time was when he left 2 years old Gon to the care of his cousin, Mito.

Ging composed himself before he took a paper from the table and scribbled a short note. He placed it safely beside Gon so that he can read it when he wakes up in the morning.

"Till next time, son" he said faintly before he walked out of the room.

▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎ ◇ ▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎

A/N:

Comment! Like! Follow!

Hi guys, thank you for reading the first chapter.

So this fan fic is a product of my cravings for more Ging Freecss content. He is such an underrated character. Right?!! Right?!!!

In short, I want more Ging screen time!! I want more GING!!!! *cat slaps me back to reality*

Ahem.

So yeah, bear with me minna!!

with Love,

Your sassy author Lozeraux

Credits:

The Ging Freecss fanart that I used as the story cover belongs to the artist from pinterest. I'm appending the link below for reference:

https://www.pinterest.ph/pin/527765650076758572/