VI: Fountain pen

Today is a new day but it's also the same life. I dont know if I should be excited for today since it's still gonna be like yesterday.

It's been a two weeks since i've moved here and it has been ... interesting. Surprisingly more than I have expected from this place. It was normal, no bullies, no hard time making friends and no major problems. If I could compare this place to my previous school this would be upgrade.

The only thing that's off here is that, it's normal. Too normal even for me. There are no mean kids trying to take money from someone. Overly prideful students who think that they own the place. And no gossipping here and there about anyone.

It's perfect. Everyone is friendly to ... everyone. There might be misunderstandings but people still get along. The teachers, students, faculty members, they're all in peace. Well, except for Yena unnie's pretend teacher.

Surreal, that's the word i'm looking for. It all feels to good to be true. It's like all of this is just a dream. I couldnt imagine myself having friends and talking to people about our lives. But it is happening and i'm already doing it.

"Chaewon-ah, i'm available today" she's not. I can see it all over her face. She's just saying that cause she thinks I had a bad morning, which is true. But isnt everyday a bad morning?

"That's great for you" did I sound a bit rude? I hope I didnt. I know she's planning to do something today. Dad and unnie already left, lucky me (maybe). At least I know that she still sees me in the morning.

"I just want to say that if you want a ride to school, I can dr-"

"Sure, that would be great" it wouldnt. I dont want my mom to be curious about me. Just her asking my day is enough. But this time since I dont want to break her heart, i'll say yes.

The trip to school was fine. We talked about what I mostly did and then blah blah blah. This is the part where I want her to shut up. But I cant tell her that cause I love her.

Saying goodbye was quicker than i've expected. I thought she'd be hugging and kissing me nonstop but she didnt. Just one hug and kiss, that's fine.

All I could think of while walking in the hallway was be chill and try to be quiet like before. Yena unnie was suddenly standing next to me with a bright yellow fountain pen on her hand.

"What's the pen for?" Quiet huh? I was the first to ask a question while she smirked at me. Quickly grabbing my hand she pulled me to our seats.

It had black ink, the barrel was yellow and the cap was green. I feel so confused on why she had it with her, she's not the type to bring a pen at school.

She started writing, I did look at her but I didnt glance at whatever she was writing about. It will either be about Yuri or she'll just write random words.

"Look at this" she showed me her paper revealing the word: Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia. um. I dont know how I should react to this.

"Wow, um. What's with the pen?" She giggled and gave a good look at the word that she wrote.

"I went to Yul's house yesterday ..." I think I know where this is going. I just hope it isnt what I think it is.

"... And we talked about what makes us scared and our fears, and what made us really scared that we might cry but wont. Then we ended up searching for different fears and there were lots of words. Long words, short words, medium words and words that I dont understand. There were lots of words ..." I nodded and showed her that I was listening.

"One important word was phobia. That means excessive fear of something. And what took my interest was this word" she lifted her paper making me see the word again.

"Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia" she pronounced it so well, no stuttering and no mistakes. "It means fear of long words. It's kinda ironic to be honest" um. As much as I like this kind of Yena unnie, the other one will come back in three, two, one.

"So, I saw a big light bulb outside our house earlier" there she is. If this is the sun again, I dont know anymore.

"You mean the sun right?" She shaked her head. "Chaewon-ah, the sun is not a light bulb silly. Didnt they teach you that at school?" Of course i'm wrong. Why did I even bother asking her that stupid question.

Speaking of questions, she never got to answer me about the yellow fountain pen. It was still in her hand and it looked like she's never planning to let it go.

"What's with the pen Yena unnie?" I think this is the third time that I've asked her this.

///////////

This may or may not be continued...