Birthday Party

It was about time for Jane to blow out the candles when Gordy's cell rang.

"Don't answer it," his mother said.

"It might be B," Gordy hoped. He'd at least hoped she'd call to wish her daughter a happy birthday. It was the least she could do.

"Hello," he said as he looked around at the streamers and such that Serena had brought over to decorate the place.

"Gordy?" The voice sounded shocked.

"Bella?"

"Oh my God, did I get you?" There was a laugh. Gordy remained even lipped. What was so funny?

"I thought you might call," he said.

"Really?"

"Jane," he said. "Its Jane's birthday."

"Oh shit." She wasn't joking now. "Really, I didn't mean to forget. Its - just I'm kind of stuck here. I lost my phone. And I could only remember your cell phone number. I'm sorry."

"I see." It was silent. "Well, maybe you should call back later."

"Wait." Her voice sounded a little scared. "I have to call my mother, and I don't have her phone number."

"And you think I do?" This was a laugh.

"I know, its ridiculous. Are you having a party or something for Jane?" Her words sounded strange to him as if maybe she were on drugs.

"Yeah, that was the plan." He looked at everyone who was staring at him with the cell phone.

"Right now?"

"Yeap." He looked at Jane trying to get to the lit candles. "She wants to blow out the candles."

He wanted to just hang up. No one from Bella's family was even here.

"Go ahead. Just let me listen," she said.

"All right."

This was awkward, holding up the phone while everyone sang happy birthday to Jane. Finally, she blew out the candles from her high chair.

"Ok, we got the party started."

"Is Emily there?" Bella then wanted to know.

"I guess she was busy," Gordy said. "She hasn't been herself, lately."

"What happened?"

"I don't really know, you'd have to talk to your mother about that." He didn't want to talk about it. It was a party. He wanted to celebrate his daughter's birthday.

"If you could just get ahold of my Mom, I'd really appreciate it. Kal left me." She told him.

"Really?" Gordy asked. "What did you do?"

"It wasn't my fault, but I'm all right."

"Of course, you are."

"Listen, I'll send her a package. I'm terrible with sending something in the mail. I don't even know where a post office is around here."

"So you're still in Austin?"

"Yeah."

"You want to talk to her?"

"Jane? Would she even know my voice?"

"You could give it a try."

He put the phone next to Jane's ear. Maybe she'd say something smart. But then again, she kept calling Serena, Mommie.