What's up

Bella woke up in the middle of the night. She remembered a cell phone number. But who's was it?

It was driving her nuts. And she was hungry.

She got up and got some cornflakes. No sugar. Just skim milk on cornflakes.

She wrote down the number as she remembered it. If she had any sense she'd run to the pay phone and call right now, but she was tired. She didn't want to wake anyone.

Never in her life had she gone this long without a phone. She'd always been in contact with someone. Either a boyfriend or her sister. Really, she could count how many girlfriends she ever had on one hand. She just wasn't the type to have a lot of girlfriends.

But now she wished she had girlfriends. She wished she had Emily to talk too. Honestly, she was her best friend. Although, she knew she'd treated Emily like trash for the most part. She never encouraged her. She never really was there for her. Bella didn't even know if there was anyone special in Emily's life.

It was a sad feeling to have now. Wondering if her sister would ever fall in love, ever be anything. What if Bella never knew?

A shiver ran through her. It gave her goosebumps. Bella couldn't take another bite of cornflakes. Tears streamed down her face. What was she doing here? She had to go home.

But this was a dream job at the vintage store. People liked her there. The owner actually loved her. She'd never thought anything like this would happen. And why had she become so fragile?

She felt more of a flutter then from her stomach. Bella held her breath and then thought she might not give the baby enough oxygen. What an idiot? She took deep breath. Waited. Would it happen, again?

It was a fierce kick. It would be. Her stomach had started to grow and it was all baby. She dumped her cereal bowl in the sink, went back to the futon where Fish was still snoring. She shook Fish from his sleep.

"Its happening," she told him.

"What? What's happening." He yawned.

"Feel it." Her eyes were wide open. She put his hand on her stomach. "Can you feel it?"

"Uh,"

"Just wait. Talk. yeah, talk to the stomach," she told him.

"I don't know," he sighed. "All right." He cupped his hands and talked to her stomach, "Hey, what's up." Her stomach jiggled.