Present

I finished my shift early today. The diner did not have many customers anyway. I really liked working there. The old man that owns the place is a sweetheart. I hate that it had to come to an end so quickly. It wasn't easy to leave my resignation letter on his table without him knowing. The guy might be old but he is always on his toes. That's why his diner is a success and why I chose to work there. My parents hate it on the other hand. They hoped I would do my PhD just like them and get a prestigious job. But I want to own a restaurant. If it was two years ago, I probably would've done what they wanted me to do. I was desperate for their approval and love. I wanted them to be proud of me. But life has taught me not to hold on to a failing relationship, instead to focus on the ones that gave me hope. And to protect them.

I waited by the bus stop. I am supposed to meet my boyfriend here. David. He asked me on a romantic little date to stargaze. We met each other seven months ago at the university he was studying at the time. He was in his last year when I moved there. We have been together for three months now. He says the most sweetest things to me although, he can be a handful at times. I know he loves me and I know he is truly sorry when he is apologising. I think we have the perfect relationship. Everyone envies us and deep down, I really like that.

His car stopped in front of me and the window rolled down. He looked at me with a smile that didn't reached his eyes.

"Hop on, love" he said and he reached out to open the door on my side. I smiled back at him and get in. He took my hand and placed a soft kiss on the back of my hand.

"How was your day? Did you miss me?" He asked when we were on the road.

"Of course, I missed you. I could barely serve the five customers that came without zoning out in your thoughts" I said dramatically. He laughed.

"I apologise, Madame, for invading your thoughts 24/7. I'm sure there were warnings of the side effects of my charms before you committed to this relationship" he said.

"Umm... actually, there wasn't. Can I get a refund?" I asked jokingly which caused him to raise his eyebrows.

"It's non refundable" he said.

"Dang it!" I slammed my fist on my thigh and he laughed.

"How far are you taking me to stargaze?" I asked.

"It is a bit far. There is a little forest with a lake going through it. I wanted to take there since forever" he said.

"I hope you are not taking me there to murder me" I joked.

"Too late" he said.

When we reached the forest, David said we had to walk it to the lake. He parked the car and we got off. There was an eerie silence inside the forest. The tall trees looked intimidating under the blanket of darkness. Moonlight could not penetrate through. The path was visible but less romantic and more spooky.

"The lake is right in the middle so we have to walk quite a bit. But trust me when I say it is all worth it" he said.

"I trust you" I said.

He squeezed my hand then wrapped his arm around my shoulder as we strolled. The cold breeze moved my hair and tickled my face. It started to get chilly. We needed to move faster to keep warm.

"You know, I used to go to places like this with my best friend. We used to explore anytime we got a chance" I said remembering the time when we got lost in the middle of nowhere.