Section Three

Iva Pope

Rubber on her hands, she gripped onto the handle of her bag. The girl had tossed the bag over her shoulder. She looked down from the escalator at the group of people. Behind a glass door, the girl waited for their friends and families to come down to them. Her hand clenched as she saw a familiar face.

Standing in the crowd, her eyes met with his. Hoping he would not make a scene, the girl reached the end of the escalator. She walked towards the metal scanners beside the door. She saw the nervous look on her friends face. The girl approached them.

The metal detector was a threat to her back then. She remembered that time when she was afraid of them. The girl had no fear of going into them now. The girl approached the detector. She gripped her bag. She knew he would have many questions. The girl thought about back when she made her first appearance. The world was afraid of her, for good reason.

Her heart raced as she walked through the scanner. The scanner picked up none of the magnetic energy in her body. She slowed down her heart rate. She was pleased to not hear the metal detector going off in her ears. The girl walked towards the glass door. The doors slid open allowing her to walk on out.

Rushing towards her friends, she stretched his arms out for a hug. The girl knew he would not let her escape from his grip. Her chest touched his. For a second, his arms wrapped around her back. She counted for a couple seconds as they passed. She could not wait for him to move away from him.

"It's good to see you." The girl said. "Clay."

Her friend smiled. "It's good to see you."

Wrapping his arm around her back, he walked her away from the airport. The sound of a plane taking off echoed in her ears. She nervously looked around to see the other travellers. The girl saw a girl around her age walking out of the airport. She was greeted by her mother and father. They wrapped their arms around her, the way a parent should, after not seeing their loved ones for a while.

Her heart beat slowed down. The girl felt a tightness in her chest. She knew why her mother had not showed up to greet her. A part of the girl wished she would have made an appearance. She was hoping her mother had forgiven her what she did, back then. They were better off without him, anyways.

Clay walked away from the airport with her. He placed his hand onto her suitcase. She let him take the suitcase from her hand. She kept by his side as they walked.

"I saw the flight said you were coming from Panama City." Clay asked her. "So, how was it?"

She thought about her stay for a minute. Back on the street with her eyes staring straight into the eyes of a soldier. His gun was pointed at her head. Her hands rose to the sky, telling him she wasn't a threat.

With no idea what he was up against. The girl flicked her wrist. She knew her power was alright.

From her wrist her bones stretched out of the palm of her hands. Her bones crossed over each other as they stretched down her side. Her bones dripped with blood, reaching the pavement beside her feet.

The soldier had no time to react to what he was seeing. The girl knew her power was a lot for the mind to process. She flicked her hand gentle. The chain of her bones went up from the palm of her hand. The chain lit up with lightning sparking from her fingertips.

Her chain of bones went racing down the street. The end of her chain wrapped around the soldier's neck. She had practised with another man before him, who had threatened her in the past. To her, he was just another guy who wanted her dead.

The soldier seemed like he wasn't prepared. His hands tugged on the chain around his neck. He could not make her grip loose around his neck. She moved the chain with a single move of the palm of her hand. She moved her hand towards her side. The girl made her bones come slithering together into a straight charge.