Chapter 32

I woke up to the sound of a loud banging on our front door. I looked beside me and noticed my mother was still sleeping soundly, and so was Jamaica. I quickly shook her to wake her up. When her eyes opened, I spoke, "Mom, get up. Someone's at the door." I came off the bed and ran out. My heart was beating a mile a minute, not only had my sleep been disturbed, I was asl very concerned about the banging on the door. Who would be doing that at just an ungodly hour?

I halt when I saw Valdo opening the door while rubbing his eyes. "How may I help you, officers?" he asked, his voice hoarse from his sleep.

"Are you Uvaldo Dakoda?" one of them asked. I moved closer to see which two policemen it was. It was Officer Robinson and Peters.

He nodded and answered. "Yes, that's me."

"You are under arrest for assaulting William Morgan. Please turn around." Officer Peters announced, his face emotionless.

"What?" I quickly move closer to the door. "That's not true." I shook my head. "William kept pushing Valdo; that's why he punched him. That's barely an assault."

Officer Peters gave me a blank look, "The victim was hospitalised with serious bruises on his face and abdominal area."

Valdo shook his head, "I only punched him once."

"That's not what he said."

"He's lying," I interjected.

"Of course, he is." Officer Peters said sarcastically. "Please turn around, sir."

"He didn't do anything." I defended.

"Turn around now." He warned.

Valdo calmly turned around.

"Hands in behind your back."

"What's going on?" I turned to look at my mother, who was walking out the bedroom rubbing her eyes.

"They're arresting him for assault" I answered, turning my head back to Valdo.

"Assault?" she questioned with a frown.

"William told them that Valdo assaulted him."

She looked at the Officers. "Jim, you know that boy is trouble. You really can't believe that he's telling the truth."

Jim, the second officer, shrugged, "I'm just doing my job, Gizelle."

"Is this how you do your job? Arresting an innocent man?" I questioned, looking at Officer Robinson.

"He's guilty until proven innocent. Let's go." Officer Peters roughly pulled Valdo towards him. It was no secret that Officer Peters was on Morgan salary. He would do anything if the pay were big enough. Officer Robinson wasn't like that, though, but Officer Peters was his senior, and so he had to do as told.

"Valdo," I whispered, looking at him.

"It's going to be okay. Check my phone for the name Eric, tell him what happened and then call my parents and then you call Marcos, tell him..." He started to talk but held his words back. "He's the one I was talking to on the phone earlier."

"This is not right. William is lying." I walked out on the pavement following them. I couldn't let them take him. Tears were threatening fall. How could someone be so evil?

"I'll be fine." I shook my head as the tears ran down my face. "I'll be fine," he repeated.

God only knows what they'll do to him in that jail cell tonight.

"I'm sorry," I said through my sobs.

"It's not your fault." Officer Peters placed him in the back of the police car, then shut the door.