Chapter 9

"I'm glad to see you again Doctor Bashir," Captain Sisko said as I listened quietly from the corner of the room. The platitude almost uncharacteristic of him—until I realized that it wasn't a platitude at all. He really was glad to see Julian. "I realize the likelyhood of you coming back to us after that mission was far smaller than I could have expected."

"Yes, sir. I'm... lucky to be here," Julian looked away, as if concerned by that line, but shook it off. "I'm sorry Captain. It's hard to know what to say after something like this. But before we discussed anything, I wanted to let you know that I had Lieutenant [Y/N] join me on this call. I suggested the idea of a transfer to her earlier. Would you consider talking to her about it?"

"Oh. I don't see why not," Sisko said, a grin spreading across his face. "Is she in the room with you?"

"Yes, actually." Julian turned towards me and beckoned me over, but I was already on the way. He smiled a little when he realized I wasn't as reluctant anymore.

"Hello Captain," I said softly, walking towards the computer and taking a seat next to Julian. "It's been some time."

"It certainly has. You're an elusive officer," Sisko said with a smile. "Reliable and hardworking, but always slipping through my fingers."

"I'm glad you think so highly of me," I chuckled, looking down modestly, but I couldn't keep up the facade long. My smile faltered. "I'd you'd like, I can leave while you reprimand Jul—Doctor Bashir." Sisko raised an eyebrow at the way I almost addressed Julian, but didn't question it. Clearly it wasn't that surprising to him that we'd be on a first name basis after a traumatic situation like ours.

"Whoever said anything about a reprimand, Lieutenant?" Sisko asked, his serious manner returning. I blinked at him, confused. Was he not going to impose some sort of punishment on Julian?

"Well, I—assumed, I suppose..." I trailed off.

"I don't plan on taking any disciplinary action, especially not after a mission like this," Sisko said. "You've already experienced enough emotional hardship. Losing officers is never easy. But if you're seriously considering a transfer, like Doctor Bashir suggested to me, then I would advise you stay for this discussion. Since I read both of your reports, my thoughts and questions really apply to the both of you."

"Very well then, sir," I said softly. Sisko nodded.

"Well, from your report, it looks like things could have gone better," he said softly. That was an oversimplification to say the least. "But that doesn't mean I blame either of you. The first contact with [Y/N] seems like it was unavoidable. Perhaps if Lieutenant Dalton had used a more penetrative scanner, he would have picked up on the lab—but he had no reason to. I don't blame him or any of you for the ambush. If this is taken to Starfleet Command, which I have no doubt it will be, it's possible that they will mandate a more thorough research of planets before study in the future, but that's not my concern. Your runabout was pushed into the atmosphere by the ferengi cargo ship before you could finish a thorough analysis anyhow. No one could blame you for that. God knows we've been having difficult diplomatic relations with them recently." Sisko sighed, and took a moment before continuing.

"Anyhow, it's a wonder you managed to crash where you did. The measures you took to protect the lives and the culture of the Raveks are just what I would expect from Starfleet officers. I did hear tell that one of the Raveks died during transport, and obviously that will need to be investigated. But [Y/N], you mentioned in your report that you discharged your phaser in self defense just before then. Is that true?"

"Yes, Captain. He was charging at me. We all entered the particle stream just after that," I explained. "Unfortunately, the energy discharge warped his signature and caused his pattern to be lost."