chapter 12

+ M A R G A U X

a year later.

"How are you?" Marcus managed to say after the awkward 1-minute staring contest we had. I smiled and tucked my hair behind my ear. It's been over a year and it still hurts. It felt like I was opening a wound up again and lightly grazing alcohol all over it.

"I'm okay." I smiled and looked up at him. We were falling in line at the only Starbucks in the city and I haven't been here in a while. How unfortunate is it that in the months that I decided to stray away, I come back and bump into the person I never wanted to ever see again.

I looked at Marcus and he smiled. I didn't want to return the question because I couldn't care less about him or at least I pretend to. I wanted to ask how the university was treating you, I heard you switched courses. He finally stood up for himself and stopped becoming what his father wanted him to be.

"Heard you got a permanent job at Rolling Stone." Marcus interrupted my thoughts.

"Yeah, they like me there." I chuckled. The people hated you there, Margaux. You only got the job because you're in a relationship with the lead guitarist of a local band and it paved your way into becoming a permanent employee. But I had to resign.

"So what have you been up to lately?" I asked, trying my best to be polite. God this line is taking forever.

"I switched to nursing, I really wanna pursue medicine." He smiled. He's really happy, isn't he? I can see that he's less tired and he looks so much healthier. I guess him leaving me was truly beneficial.

"So, what are you doing back here?" I gulped and slightly chuckled. How do I tell him that I was in an abusive relationship, my mother spent all the money I had for college, and that after I get coffee I needed to apply here and stop college for at least a year.

"Just visiting,"

"How's RJ?" I continued. I wasn't in touch with anyone after I left. After Marcus asked for space.

"He's doing well, I bet he misses you."

The cashier took Marcus' order and I noticed that he still drinks his usual. Some things just never truly change, huh? The familiar smell of coffee and the cold AC just truly feels like home. I ordered one cold brew because I haven't been sleeping and my chai tea days were over.

"Hey, wanna sit together?" He asked and I nodded slowly. I was unsure. I didn't want to see him but I also had no one else to be with. I paid for my drink and I followed him to a seat near the window, the most comfortable seat here and this was also where we used to study.

Why don't you hate me, Marcus? I would hate myself for the things that happened right after we broke up. I keep blaming myself for all the things that happened after you and everything's been shitty lately. Do I even like my job? I lived in a big ass apartment but it always felt so empty living there alone. I had to sell it eventually, we needed money and my mother had none.

I stared at Marcus. He was focused on his phone and I didn't mind. I heard that he was now with Amethyst. I wasn't shocked when I saw him post a photo of them in Paris, that's how things were supposed to be anyways. Marcus and Amethyst were made for each other.

"How are you and Amethyst?" I asked, trying to shoot a conversation with you.

"We're great," he coughed a bit, he looked surprised. "We're doing great," he continued and he smiled. As long as he's happy, then I'm happy. Are you still mad at me?

"I can't stay mad at you forever, Diane," he slightly chuckled as if he read my mind.

"Huh?"

"I know we had bad experiences before, but I can't hate you forever,"