Where There is Hope

Kuroo was seated around the corner from the library's main entrance. There was a small flower garden there that he had seen numerous times but never bothered to investigate. Even now with the moon blotted out by clouds he could make out the different types of flowers by their shapes. The scent was pleasant as it mixed with the smell of oncoming rain.

Part of him wished he had never decided to start university with the others. There was no reason for it, for any of them to be there, except to pass time and keep busy while maintaining the guise that they were Human. But sports intrigued Kuroo the same way video games intrigued Kenma. And then there was Jade.

A Human girl who had enraptured his heart so suddenly, Jade was a force to be reckoned with. She had a kind heart and was always ready to help at a moment's notice. She was lively and passionate about her interests. She wore a smile everyday yet even after a year, she was somewhat of a mystery. She rarely spoke about her family or growing up, stating that she preferred to hear about others over talking about herself. When they did get her to talk though she left a lot to the imagination.

Despite that Kuroo was always overjoyed to see Jade. Days he went to the library his classes had a tendency to drag. On more than one occasion he'd decided to stop into the library on his own just to see how she was doing. His heart would bound happily when she'd spot him and her grin would broaden into one that showed her teeth and dimples.

Kuroo leaned his head back against the cold stone of the building and released a long breath into the air. Then there were nights like tonight. Where the fact that she was Human and that she had a life that didn't include him would make his heart ache in a way it never had before. He had to remind himself that, as a Fae being, he had to ignore his heart and the longing to be with Jade. It couldn't happen. Yet it was devastating to see her with someone else.

He opened his eyes slowly when thunder pulled him from the turmoil of his thoughts. It wasn't supposed to rain he recalled with a frown. Even still he stood and made his way back to the street so he could head home for the weekend. His folks would be excited to see him again even if it was only for a couple of days. Maybe he should talk to his friends while they were home and see what they had to say about everything. Could he though? Would they understand? Or would they go running to a Council member and tell them he was falling for a Human?

"-show up here and think everything will go your way." The words were clipped and filled with resolution. "Go home, Tendo."

"A little rain never hurt anyone," Satori replied simply. "Besides, you like the rain, don't you, Jade?"

"We aren't doing this." She huffed.

Kuroo saw Jade walking quickly from the corner she and Tendo had gone around before with her phone tucked against her ear and hurried to her side. "Jade?"

"Go home!" She snapped without looking.

"Jade, wait, slow down," Kuroo begged.

Jade finally turned her attention to him, her eyes widening in surprise when she met his worried gaze. "What are you doing here? Wh – no, Nyra, not you." Jade's voice hardened as she rolled her eyes. "Meet me at my apartment in thirty. We need to talk. Then tomorrow, I don't care so long as -" she was cut off. Kuroo was patient as Jade listened and spoke little. Finally she hung up and forced a smile up at Kuroo. "What are you doing here still, Kuroo? It sounds like it's going to rain soon."

"I really don't mind the rain," he shrugged. "Are you okay? Things sounded kind of heated just now. With both Satori and your sister actually."

"I'll be fine." The nod she gave him was tight, forced. Her hands gripped the strap of her bag tightly. It was too dark to tell for certain but Kuroo was sure her knuckles were white.