Wendla x Melchior- The Faerie Dress Part 1

*Talk about religion and some slightly suggestive dialogue (nothing bad at all) and some talk of bodies*

"Wenlda? WENDLA!" Frau Bergmann (Wendla's mother) called up to her daughter. Wendla skipped down the stairs. 

"mama?" she asked. Her mother looked her up and down. 

"and what do you think you're wearing?" her mother gasped. 

"oh, mama! I'm wearing my faerie-queen dress," Wendla explained to her mother. Her mom let out an exasperated sigh. 

"Wendla, Wendla. You can't be wearing that. We've been over this. Your body is... changing," her mother explained uncomfortably. 

"I know, mama. But I'm 14! You'd think I could dress myself. I just want to feel like a littler girl. You know, Melchior's parents let him make his own decisions. He is allowed to read Faust. He doesn't have to go to church," Wendla informed her mother. Her mom rolled her eyes and sighed. 

"And how would you know what Melchior Gabor is allowed to do? How do you know he is allowed to read Faust? And... and how do you know he doesn't go to church? Do you not want to go to church, Wendla?! WENDLA! ANSWER ME!" her mother shouted. Wendla backed off a little. 

"All the girls talk about Melchior. Thea knows everything about him. We just talk about him, that's all."

"That's all?" her mother asked. Wendla nodded quickly. 

"I promise mama. And I love going to church," Wendla said. Her mother nodded approvingly and turned away. 

Her mom turned back quickly and added, "you will not be reading Faust anytime soon. Or talking with or about that 'Melchior Gabor'. Do I make myself clear, Wendla?" 

"yes, mama," Wendla said slowly. 

"now, change your clothes into something appropriate for a woman your age and go off to school. Make sure to go into the meadow and get me some woodruff for the May wine I'm making tonight," her mother said as she left the room. 

"yes, mama," Wendla said quietly again, even though her mother couldn't hear her. Wendla went and changed into her long dress that covered her 'changing' body as her mother had called it. She didn't see the problem with her shorter dress, or hanging out with Melchior Gabor. Wendla trudged her way to school and her best friends, Martha, Thea, and Anna, rushed up to her when she arrived. 

"Did you hear?" Thea gasped. 

"no?" Wendla peeped, confused. 

"Melchior just got in big trouble from the teachers at his school!" Thea said, in awe. 

"and how do you know this, Thea?" Wendla asked, laughing. 

"Because, she's in love with Melchior and she knows everything about him," Anna teased. Wendla had a sneaking suspicion that the reason Anna teased Thea about her crush on Melchior so much was because Anna actually had a crush on Thea. But she wasn't going to ask. 

"What did he do?" Wendla asked. 

"Mortiz wasn't paying attention in class and supposedly Melchior snapped at the teacher and stood up for Mortiz and then Melchior got beat," Martha said slowly. Everyone knew Martha was secretly in love with Mortiz. But being beat was a sensitive subject for her. 

"Woah... really?" Wendla said in awe. She couldn't believe Melchior would get beat for his friend. Thea nodded harshly. 

"He's so radical..." Thea said dreamily. Wendla laughed a little. The girls quickly rushed into class for fear of showing up late and they themselves getting hit.