Chapter 1

I watched the scenery change constantly, never looking away from the window. The night neared, yet we were still nowhere close to our destination.

We were headed towards a small town called Haulover on the south side of Florida. I looked at my watch, seeing that it was almost ten thirty.

"Jules? Jules? Julia!" My mother called out.

"What now?" I said, taking out both of my headphones.

"I was just wondering if you were hungry and wanted take out, since clearly your brother is passed out," she said chuckling.

I looked at my older brother, Jason. His brown hair rested on his forehead, a peaceful expression upon his face as he slept soundly.

"You don't deserve to eat food, ugly" was all I could hear in my head.

"No, I'm good."

"Julia." My mother warned, looking at me through the mirror.

"Mom, I'm sure; I'm really not hungry."

She sighed, not pressing the conversation any further. I put my headphones back in listening to one of my favourite bands, All That Remains.

At some point I had fallen asleep, without even realizing. Someone was shaking me, trying to get me to awake up, I groaned as I swatted their pushy hands away.

"Julia, just wake the frig up. We're taking shelter at a hotel for the night. Mom's tired from driving" Jay said, sparking my interest when he said that we were staying at a hotel for the night.

I looked up at him and pouted.

"For God's sake no Jules."

As I started making puppy dog eyes, his expression softened. "Just walk to the stairs, and then I'll carry you from there. Alrighty, kiddo?"

I smiled at him getting out of the truck, grabbing my bag and my purse, making my way towards the entrance of the hotel.

Mom was already there at the counter, making the arrangements for the rooms.

While I waited at the couch, Jason walked in with a suitcase, and a small backpack. He made his way over to me. Waiting for Mom, we sat in silence as I almost fell asleep again.

"Let's go." Mom said snapping me out of my sleepy trance.

I trudged behind her and Jay, dragging my feet. The minute the door was open, I pushed through falling onto the bed.

"Julia. Get up and change please. I really don't want you going to bed in road trippy clothes. Also, you might want to shower and feel a bit fresher."

I sighed as I pushed myself up, pulling my bag in front of me, taking out a fresh set of clothes and a toothbrush. Dropping my bag on one of the plushy chairs, I made my way over to the bathroom.

Dropping everything onto the bathroom counter, I closed the door, finally getting a bit of space from my family.

Staring at my reflection in the mirror, I looked like a mess.

My usual flat brown hair, stuck up in random directions. My makeup smudged in the worst way possible making it look as if though I had just cried for a few hours straight. I sighed as I pulled off my clothes dropping them on the floor.

My body which was covered in small cuts, bruises and burn marks looked disgusting, as usual. No surprise there.

I pulled my hair into a bun as I stepped into the shower. Turning it on, I felt the cold water making its way down my body. I shivered as I waited for the water to warm up. I tried my best to take my makeup off with the water.