𝓲

ᴡᴏʀᴅ ᴄᴏᴜɴᴛ: 6.6ᴋ
ᴅᴀᴛᴇ ᴘᴜʙʟɪsʜᴇᴅ: ᴏᴄᴛᴏʙᴇʀ 28ᴛʜ, 2020
--------------------

Draco awoke in the middle of the night to someone whispering his name.

His eyes opened to see a figure with black hair sitting at the foot of his bed with a hand on his leg. Their hand was patting him lightly, trying to wake him up gently.

It took a moment for his eyes to focus, and when they finally did, he was surprised to see who it was. Never in a million years would he have expected this person to be at the end of his bed.

"Pansy?!" he whisper-yelled into the darkness that surrounded them. He saw her signature grin pointed back at his own shocked expression, and he let out an exultant shout. His sleepiness—which had been dragging his eyelids down further from the moment that he opened his eyes for the first time that night until just then—was shrugged off as he scrambled to sit up. He bit his lip, overly excited about the fact that she was here.

Pansy tackled him into a hug and they clung to each other tightly. It had been too long. Three fucking years too long. Draco felt something wet running on his neck, and when he realized that it was Pansy's tears, he pulled back from the hug. "Are you crying?"

She chuckled through a sob. "Fuck off," she cried. Draco didn't realize that his own tears were falling just the same, and they cried together, releasing three years of separation into another hug.

It was frustrating for him, having wanted so much for Pansy to both come back and stay away for so long. She had gone off and traveled the world, trying to collect inspiration for the clothing brand that she was starting. It was called Panssmagoria, a play on words with the term phantasmagoria, that was both clever and stupid at the same time. She hadn't owled, she hadn't Apparated, and she hadn't even fire-called. Draco had spent three years—possibly some of the most unstructured three years of his life, if not the worst—without the support of one of his biggest supporters. He had missed her dearly, and almost painfully. It had gotten to the point where he had wanted to owl saying that she should have stayed where she was and forgotten about coming back, but he had never gotten around to it.

He had planned to make her feel terribly guilty for leaving, to make her feel horrible for going at the worst time in his life. He was going to see the confusion in her face and leave her to wonder for the rest of her life what had happened. She had left barely a week after the war, before Draco had even had his trial. She had gone before Potter had stood up for him, and before his father had been thrown is Azkaban. She had gone before his mother had started needing to see a mind-healer, and before he had started taking his Dreamless Sleep potions.

She missed so much. She missed Theo going off to muggle university, she missed Blaise's ten months of career consideration and his engagement to Neville Longbottom, she missed Draco's non-stop flow of hate-mail. She missed his applications to Healer-training, she missed his rejection letters, and she missed his depressive states. She missed when he finally got in, and she missed his first-day stress. She missed his graduation, and she missed when he got a job at St. Mungo's, despite what everyone had expected.

She missed when Harry Potter got engaged to Ginevra Weasley, and she missed when Harry Potter called it off. She missed when Potter came out as bisexual and started dating various men from both the Ministry and the pubs that he tended to drown his sorrows in. Those relationships didn't tend to last long, and he hadn't been in one for a long time. It was known to most, so Draco didn't feel odd for knowing.

Draco was unable to go through with his plan, however, because as soon as he had realized who was sitting at the foot of his bed, he had remembered how much he had missed Pansy. She was his best friend, and though he loved Blaise, Theo, and Greg, they could never compare to her. She was his witch-bitch. His favourite lesbian. She was the one who made him smile the most, and who—unfortunately—made him cry the hardest when she was gone. He was unable to break off his friendship with Pansy, because he needed her. He needed his friend, and he was so incredibly excited to have her back.